What's new

Royalshave.com

You might need to keep a wary eye on their shipping charges, but they do stock some items I have not found elsewhere, ie, good barber towels.

I recently purchased some blades and a Merkur razor from Royalshave.com when everyone else was out of stock... which I ended up returning unopened (package arrived Friday, awaiting the results of the return process - will report back). Their pricing was better than WCS on the Derby, Lord and Sword blades and I though the packaging was a bit better... selection overall was smaller, I'd put shipping on-par with everybody else. They also sent over an 18% discount coupon after my first purchase which was a nice touch.

IMHO - I prefer WCS's selection of products overall and I will probably make it my first stop for supplies but Royalshave is worth comparison shopping.

Haven't done business with them. Hadn't heard of them until I saw this thread. Jumped to their site and did some quick prices comparisons on items that I generally know what they go for. I only spotted one item, a EJ razor, that they were cheaper on. Most items were a little more or a lot more expensive. (i.e. Mitchell's woolfat soap in bowl) I only compared a few razors and some soaps and creams to come up with this conclusion but it was enough for me to fall back to my usual vendors. They may help you out in a pinch if you need somethign but you may save some $$ looking around.

I ordered a Merkur 38C and when they said they were backordered ( i would suggest calling first) I called to cancel my order and they issued a refund immediately ( her name was Laurie, super sweet), I literally got the email from Paypal saying I was refunded before I even hung up with her. They are loacted in Costa Mesa so you can do Local Pickup if you are in the socal area. Thats as much as I know

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
They have some items that are truly hard to find in the USA, such as the German Klar Kabinett, Gold Dachs, and Austrian Haslinger soaps. Purchased from them before and will again! No problem.

I became Royal Shave customer few years ago, and over that time I bought a lot of stuff from them. Naturally, some things that I bought I did not like and I sent it back to them. They always refunded me in full minus the shipping cost. Of course, I also paid to have the item shipped back so every time I did not like something I spent about $10 dollars in shipping cost.

To my surprise, I received the following e-mail from them;
Unfortunately your Order# 4134345 was cancelled and your Paypal ending with - (n/a) was refunded.

We can no longer accept any orders from you. There have been too many returns of products for orders you have placed. The returns are in excess of $1000 and this is just too much for one customer.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this causes and thank you very much for your interest in our products.

I did not keep a tab of how much stuff I bought from them, but I can estimate that I spent around $2500 over the past 3-4 years.

I thought that I was one of their good customers. I looked at their return policy and there was no mention that you are only allowed certain number of returns. I thought that I would share with everyone my experience with the Royal Shave.

Thanks

I can estimate that I spent around $2500 over the past 3-4 years.

Based on those numbers, you've ended up returning 40% of what you purchased. I can't say I'm surprised that they've declared you persona non grata.

As for my experiences with Royal Shave, I've never had a bad one, and I do business with them regularly.

Maybe, it depends on the cost of the items I kept and returned. I have never had this happen to me before, but I guess there is a first time for everything. Maybe they did me a favor considering each time I returned something it cost me $10 dollars.

It doesn't really matter, I found a shave shop near me called Straight Razor Designs and I can go there and see what I am getting in person. Not to mention, their prices are lower. Just compare the Feather razor cost with many others and you will see what I mean.

I have had excellent results from this vendor for a couple of years when buying direct or ebay, amazon, etc. They have a low minimum for free shipping that I always take advantage of, so I can't comment on shipping charges. Orders get to me within 2 days.

I have dealt with them several times over the last year or so and it's always been pleasure dealing with them.

Regardless, I do give them high marks for fast shipping and $35 dollars min to ship for free is good. Are there other options with better prices, yes. Straight Razor Design is one of those. Men's Room Barbershop is another.

I think it depends on the item(s). For instance, Straight Razor Designs's prices for D.R. Harris and T&H products are roughly the same as what Royal Shave charges for those brands. However, I'd have to order $100 worth of products to get free shipping with SRD, compared to only $35 with Royal Shave. That doesn't mean SRD is a bad deal, but I wouldn't say they offer a better deal than Royal Shave, at least in those instances.

On a different note, I notice you said you didn't like some of the things you bought from Royal Shave. How did you determine your dislike for those items? Did you use them?

Well as you probably know they sell more than just shave products. Most of the shave products and hair products that I bought, I liked and I kept. One item that I was not happy with was the straight razor, Dovo Bismarck. Although it was brand new and properly sealed when it arrived, on the inside it had a lot of dings and marks that looked like it was not carefully handled by the manufacturer. I felt that for the money, Dovo should have better quality control. No way was it Royal Shave fault. If you look on the SRD website, you will see that they sell some straight razors that slipped passed the quality control of the manufacturer. I guess these things do happen, but I was not willing to settle for a razor that did not meet my expectations.

I think the reason they ended up kicking me off is because of the pens they sell on the Big Ben tab. I have decent fountain pen collection and I bought a Pelican pen and one or two others from their website. I never owned that brand before, so I did not know what to expect. When they arrived, I just simply did not like the quality, size, weight, etc. and I ended up returning them. I did not use any of them. For example, I own Montblanc fountain pen and I used it as a benchmark. Unfortunately, those pens did not come close to the Montblanc quality, but then again they were far less expensive.

Last two times I tried to buy a brush from Royal Shave, but they refunded my money. First time it was about a month or two ago, and I thought that the brush was not in stock. Second time, they sent me that e-mail which I included in the post above.

Top Bottom