What's new

First DE shave in over 40 years!

Where do I start? Gentlemen, this was freaking awesome!!! And I don't even have all the "stuff" yet - only my brand new shiny Merkur 178. I intended to wait until I got my TOBS shave cream, Derby Extras, and Clubman After Shave, but the only thing to arrive so far was the razor and its one lonely Merkur blade. It has been 3 days since I last shaved, so after my shower I decided to go ahead with what I had.

Unless you're somewhat of an oldster like me (60), you may not be able to fully appreciate this, but holding that stubby little razor in my hand, and shaving with it, brought me back to a time in my life when I was 19 years old and a "newbie" in a place far removed in time and space from this one - Lackland AFB, San Antonio, Texas. Basic Training. 1968. (For those of you that have "been there, done that" you'll appreciate the difference between shaving at 5:05 A.M., with 4 or 5 other G.I.'s waiting behind you for the sink, and a nice slow luxurious shave in the comfort of your own home).

I would have to say that my skin and beard are "normal". Anyway, on to the shave! With the equipment at hand, limited as it is so far, here was my routine:

1) Shower
2) Dry everything but my face
3) Soak washcloth in as hot a water as I could stand, wring out a medium-hard amount, hold on face for 30 seconds or so; Repeat.
4) "Lather up" (such as it was) with the only thing on hand - Gillette multiglide shave gel
5) First pass with the grain
6) Rub face to generate more "lather" (there was enough residual gel left to get a decent coating)
7) Next pass across the grain (I have NEVER done that before, never even thought about it - learned that from reading on this site)
8) See # 6
9) Final pass against the grain
10) Warm water rinse
11) Cold water rinse
12) Pat face dry with towel
13) Aqua Velva

I think this was the closest shave I've ever had. I took my time and didn't rush it - taking short strokes with my new Merkur. I was totally floored when I took that little razor in my hand and it immediately transported me back in time! I have no razor burn, the Aqua Velva merely tingled and did not burn, and my face, no matter which way I rub it, is smooth as silk.

I can't wait to get the rest of the things I ordered! I think they will greatly contribute to the sensory (or is it sensual?) experience of shaving.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I love reading stories like this of us older guys going back to our roots.
It truly is a great thing.
I'm happy you're here and happy you found us.
If you think it's great now, wait till the great soaps and creams and brushes manifest themselves!!
Welcome to B&B, keep us posted and let us know when your "stuff" arrives!

Welcome from another oldster. As Phil pointed out wait till you try the creams, brushes, etc... onward and upward... the shave just keep getting better... and I do remember the GI shaves... but you need to try a Navy shower someday

time changes things but some things stay the same. we went 2 or 3 to a sink and still had a line behind each sink. that is where i learned to hate shaving.
sure is nice to spend some time on a shave. now i enjoy a good shave.

Welcome aboard! It does transport you back doesn't it? My first DE shave was when I was 16 and full of vinegar using a brand new Gillette adjustable. It comes back to you pretty quickly almost expected my mom to tap on the door....

Take Care,
Richard

Thank you rof your beautiful story. It's really interesting to hear something like that for me - youngster (I'm 23). My Dad seems to have no interest in a classical wetshaving and I have his first Rocket now and find it a pitty... So I wish you a good luck and enjoy your time here!

I'm going to print this together with a few other successful DE shaving stories here and present to my father as proof that he really should consider switching back to DE shaving even if he gave it up in the 70's. He has this silly notion that it gives a worse shave with regards to closeness...

Thanks for a great story, off to find that spiral machine we once had to put together reports. :)

Welcome to B&B from another Senior. I too wandered in the cartridge desert for 40 years before coming back to DEs.

There are all kinds of interesting things for you to experiment with. DEs, SEs, creams, soaps, brushes, straight razors, etc..

Welcome back to DE shaving. I am the same age as you and had a similar experience. I never learned properly many years ago and was applying too much pressure. It just goes to show you just because it is new and improved doesn't make it better. It makes me sad to think of all the mornings I faced the mirror like a robrot, with my plastic razor in my hand, hurrying to get the shave over with. Oh by the way welcome to B&B!

PINAUD!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Great story! Yeah, I came back too after many years and now look back at how I hated shaving and only because I was rushed or had bad blades. What a waste, I even grew a beard for a while so I wouldn't have to shave.

Welcome aboard here! B&B is a great place.

Top Bottom