What's new

Can I get as close a shave with the grain as I do against the grain?

I used to use the Gillette Fusion Power razor and with that I shaved against the grain. My face felt smooth in all directions but the razor irritated my skin. Now I use a straight razor, and I only shave with the grain. I tried shaving against the grain with the straight razor, but I am not that good and it doesn't turn out well for my face. When I shave with the grain with the straight razor, it looks smooth and it feels smooth except when I bring my hand up, that's when I still feel the hair. My question is "Can I get as close and smooth a shave just shaving with the grain as I do shaving against the grain?"

Thanks!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
No, you can't.

But the WTG is plenty fine until your skill improves such that you can shave ATG with the straight.

That's right,
but there is nobody who will notice your not 100% smooth so it doesn't matter.

That's what's keeping me satisfied at the moment. It feels smooth at almost all angles and it looks smooth. One of these days I would like to get shaving against the grain down.

I am a short timer here but no...I don't think so. The point must be made that everyone's face is different. I have places that when I shave from ear to chin I am going ATG. If ATG is going to work for you at all you are going to have to have great technique, a sharp razor, and skin that will allow you to do it. Part of good technique is being able to do multiple passes and not so much as cut a pimple. It is amazing to me but not till the final pass does my beard feel smooth. That may just be me.

Just enjoy the journey and give it some time. It took me about a year and a half to be able to make four passes and apply the alum block and get absolutely no burn.

Take Care,
Richard

Don't feel that there's only 2 directions to shave - WTG and ATG. Play around with different angles until something works for you. Personally my 'ATG' pass is really 10 or 15 degrees off a true 'ATG', but that's the balance point between shave quality and irritation.

Don't feel that there's only 2 directions to shave - WTG and ATG. Play around with different angles until something works for you. Personally my 'ATG' pass is really 10 or 15 degrees off a true 'ATG', but that's the balance point between shave quality and irritation.

+1 on this - good call, Chris! Best shave without irritation is the goal.

Top Bottom