What's new

What's your workout today?

Well, I WAS going to take a rest day today, but I walked in the gym and the workout looked like too much fun to pass up!

Shoulder press 3x5 (3 sets of 5 across, at 140#)

Then
3 rounds for time of:
135# Power Clean, 5 reps
Box Course
10 Tire Burpees
15 Pushup Mountain Climbers
Monkey Bars

15:00 flat.

So the box course involved a bunch of plyometric boxes: about 6 that were 12 - 18" tall, maybe 6 more at 24" and 5 at 36". These were arranged in two parallel rows, with a few inches in between each box. You had to go up one line, jumping on top of every box and then back down to the ground, then back the other. Then there were two rows of those plastic "plyo" top pieces (basically a plastic box about 4" high, 15" wide, and 36" long), with probably 6 per row. These you had to traverse laterally (er... "sideways"), stepping up on a box with both feet, then down onto the floor between that box and the next, then up again, etc. and back down the other column, without ever letting your feet cross. It was a pretty cool idea.

Tire burpees were done with a 500# tire, which is roughly 4-5 feet in diameter and 18" tall when lying on its side. Jump in the tire, out the other side, then do a pushup. That's one.

Pushup mtn climbers were pretty simple -- just a pushup then a "mountain climber" with each leg.

Pretty fun workout, but I think I'm going to start incorporating more strength work again soon. I miss heavy squats :(

About an hour after the workout I went paddling (surfboard) for an hour, trying to get ready for an upcoming trip. Mixed up the paddling with a few intervals of 15 strokes then duckdive, 15 strokes and duckdive, etc... Those were pretty taxing. I think they'll do well in preparing me for this trip.

Back and Legs today

Chinups
Lat Pulldown
Weighted back raises
Weighted Side crunches

Deadlifts
Leg Press
Calf raisers

Two runs in a row! Last night and tonight. That will be it for the week. I'm going out of town tomorrow. I'll bring the resistance band along, but I'm not making any promises! :mad3:

I am convinced I need new running shoes, so I'm gonna look into that when I get back.

Heading to the gym now to lift. I was going to run outside tonight but it's been raining on and off so I'll tack 30 min on the stairmaster onto my workout.

I worked out 3 days last week, and not in a row. This week I decided to do it everyday, and I can see the improvement. I have more energy, and I am already seeing a difference where I need to see one, and I'm just getting started. :thumbup:

That's great to hear!

I worked out 3 days last week, and not in a row. This week I decided to do it everyday, and I can see the improvement. I have more energy, and I am already seeing a difference where I need to see one, and I'm just getting started. :thumbup:

Kudos, but make sure you take your rest days, too! Or, at the very least, "active recovery" days where you tone down the intensity. If you're working hard, putting in intense sessions, then you'll surely need the rest. Don't fall into an overtraining spiral (you train too much, get too tired, perform worse and feel worse, so you think you need more exercise... etc).

You get stronger while you REST, not while you exercise. Rest is just as important, if not more so, than exercise. The higher intensity training you do, the more rest you'll need. You be the judge, and listen to your body. Sounds like you're doing great for now, though!

Last edited:
Oh, and the workout for today was absolute murder:

500m Row (C2 rower)
Then 6 rounds for time of:
5 Thrusters (45# DBs)
5 Bent Rows (45# DBs)
10 Pushups
25m Sled Push (180# sled)
Then
500m Row

Holy crap was that sled heavy! I haven't had to work that hard to keep Pukie at bay in a LONG time. Took nearly 30 minutes recovering on or around the floor afterwards. Couldn't stand for longer than a few seconds. Ouch.

Last edited:
Chest and legs, ab ripper x then 3.5 mile run. I really wish I could get my pre-injury running times back, this slow stuff is killing me.

Top Bottom