What's new

Progress: What's your setting?

I just received my Merkur Progress in the mail, and I'm tremendously looking forward to trying it out.

This will be my first adjustable after months of shaving primarily with a '51 SS.

What setting do you tend to use on your Progress?

I know they aren't totally standardized, so for the record mine lines up like this when twisted closed as far as possible:

proxy.php

I just received my Merkur Progress in the mail, and I'm tremendously looking forward to trying it out.

This will be my first adjustable after months of shaving primarily with a '51 SS.

I know they aren't totally standardized, so for the record mine lines up like this when twisted closed as far as possible:

proxy.php

first off, do you have a blade in it??? if not, it will close farther than with one in it. if the picture you took is with a blade in it, it is at a 0.5 starting, so i would recommend it at 1.5 for starts. that may still be a little more aggressive than your superspeed

D

Dave Tomlinson

proxy.php

Mine is exactly the same as yours when it has a blade inserted,i tried it at 1.5 but found it a bit aggressive so now set it on 1 and it works great with almost any blade.

Dave.

first off, do you have a blade in it??? if not, it will close farther than with one in it. if the picture you took is with a blade in it, it is at a 0.5 starting, so i would recommend it at 1.5 for starts. that may still be a little more aggressive than your superspeed

Ah! Thank you, I wasn't aware of that. Indeed, that picture was taken without a blade inserted, as I'm currently at the office and don't have access to the rest of my shaving materials.

I wonder if it will line right up with the #1 with a blade inserted?

Hope you got the Long Handle version!:001_smile

Regardless, My razor goes "before 1" with the blade installed - the numbers are only a reference afterall to return to your previous setting - make sure the triangle / notch are lined up on top.

As far as I know the markings on the Progress are non-standard. I have heard that as a complaint about it. By that I mean that 1 on one progress is different than 1 on another.

As far as I know the markings on the Progress are non-standard. I have heard that as a complaint about it. By that I mean that 1 on one progress is different than 1 on another.

The same complaint is made by whiners about the Fatboy and Slim also - think REFERENCE:001_smile

Hope you got the Long Handle version!:001_smile

Regardless, My razor goes "before 1" with the blade installed - the numbers are only a reference afterall to return to your previous setting - make sure the triangle / notch are lined up on top.

Nope! I got the shorter handled version because, ah, it was $25:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=134882

Plus, I've got a 38R for when I'm feeling long-handle-y.

Thanks for the other advice as well. Sounds like some experimentation is in order!

Very true, and that's why I attempted to give some reference by providing a picture of mine screwed all the way down.

I'm no so much looking for a suggestion of the One True Setting, but more a ballpark idea. For instance, if everyone were shaving with their Progress on 4 or 5 I probably wouldn't start at 1.

Nope! I got the shorter handled version because, ah, it was $25:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=134882

Plus, I've got a 38R for when I'm feeling long-handle-y.

Thanks for the other advice as well. Sounds like some experimentation is in order!

That's a GREAT Price even if it is the shortie - you can buy an aftermarket extension with the price difference later if need be....I find the long handle to be elegant, exquisite, exceptional (well you get the idea!):001_tt1:

That's a GREAT Price even if it is the shortie - you can buy an aftermarket extension with the price difference later if need be....I find the long handle to be elegant, exquisite, exceptional (well you get the idea!):001_tt1:

Hm! Who offers aftermarket handle extensions?

Top Bottom