What's new

Restoring old brush

Bought some very cooliing looking brushes on ebay will post picks, going to try to restore how do you remove old knot does not want to budge.

Thanks

Bought some very cooliing looking brushes on ebay will post picks, going to try to restore how do you remove old knot does not want to budge.

Thanks

Dremel, Drill, Anything you can without destroying the handle. What did you get? Post some pics. It depends on the brush as they are all filled differently. I have been through a bunch and can give you some advice if I can see the brush.

Last edited:
Thanks any help is greatly appreciated not going to pull knot on bigger one it is in good condition.
IMG00161.jpg

This is the classic thread to review for restoration....

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=58175&highlight=everready

There are a fairly large number of other threads about restores but this one should get most of your questions answered.

That clear base with black liner (not sure if the black is glue or what) may present some additional challenges especially when it comes to setting a new knot at your desired loft...but start by chopping off the old hair and getting the hole cleaned out....

It is a fun project no matter what and restoring an old handle to a desirable brush is not too hard.

Seems like I was beaten too it. I would just be careful with that one because if you go through the top part it is going to be very visible from the outside.

I wonder if that black is glue...to keep the scratch marks etc from showing on the drilled out acrylic.

If it is glue, and you decide you need to drill deeper to set you knot, you may have some neat options.

Drill out removing all traces of the black...then polish the inside to clear with various grits of sandpaper....set a new knot in clear epoxy...a UK hand-tied does not have the semi-ugly plastic base. This "look inside" could be a nice presentation.

Or drill it out and set the new knot in a black epoxy to mimic its current look. This would allow a greater selection of knots as I think using one of the Chinese knots with plastic base with a clear epoxy would not be very attractive.

I wonder if that black is glue...to keep the scratch marks etc from showing on the drilled out acrylic.

If it is glue, and you decide you need to drill deeper to set you knot, you may have some neat options.

Drill out removing all traces of the black...then polish the inside to clear with various grits of sandpaper....set a new knot in clear epoxy...a UK hand-tied does not have the semi-ugly plastic base. This "look inside" could be a nice presentation.

Or drill it out and set the new knot in a black epoxy to mimic its current look. This would allow a greater selection of knots as I think using one of the Chinese knots with plastic base with a clear epoxy would not be very attractive.

I'm not really sure either. I have a faux tortise shell one that is translucent. They basically did the same thing.... some dark colored epoxy. I cored out the inside and then sanded the inner part smooth to eliminate any scratches.

Top Bottom