What's new

Shavemac or Rooney?

Hi Everyone,

Looking into a new brush. Something dense, stiff, but soft. Works well with both soaps and creams. I bowl lather so I don't want a very short or tiny brush as I'd get too much lather on my hand and not on the brush. A longer handle on the brush would be nice to prevent this. Looking into the Shavemacs and the Rooneys. Was considering a Rooney 3/1, or a Shavemac 177 SilverTip or a Shavemac D01. Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks!!

X

What about the saville Row 3824 or something along similar lines? Reading about it, it seems to be a high end custom shavemac. That right? Anyone like these brushes?

One of my buddies got me a Shavemac for Christmas and WOW is it a great brush. Hasn't lost a single hair, great with both soaps and creams. I don't have anything bad to say about it. I just wish I knew exactly the model/specifics so I could sing its praises properly.

I'll try to find out and get back.

I’d ring Tony at penworks.us and save yourself some money. If you tell him what you want, he will have a badger brush to match and then you can have a fantasic choice of handles.

Shavemac and Rooney are quality products without doubt, but IMHO so are Tony’s.

I only found Tony when somebody told me how good his products are.:wink2:

I think the Rooneys are a little dense to be a good all round brush (good soap brush though). The Shavemacs have a slighly longer loft and should be more versatile.

I have both brushes (3,1 and Shavemac 177). They're totally different brushes. For bowl lathering I like my Shavemace better. Actually, I like the Shavemac all around better. It works well with soaps and creams, is soft but has backbone and is a pleasure to use. The 3,1 is a nice brush but I don't like using it more than a couple of days in a row due to its stiffness.

um... depending on the size you get (177) I'd say that's a great choice. I also love the Rooney brushes that I've used (1/1, 2 1/2s, 2/1), but never tried the 3/1.

If you want the softest tips, I'd go with the Shavemac. If I wanted more backbone and adequate softness, I'd get the Rooney... Personally, I would choose the Rooney, but I know guys love their Shavemacs as well

I have Rooney 3/1 super and a Shavemac 177 silvertip

and the best performer so far (cream/soap) is the Shavemac 177.

:001_tt1:

Top Bottom