What's new

Help with honing gear (newbie)

Good day to you all, fellow razor-enthusiasts.

This is my first post - and I am happy to be here - just from reading posts and guides in here.

The problem and the questions to follow up, are below (with info, to make it easier to answer)

I have been shaving for two years with a straight razor. It's a Dovo, silversteel, 5/8 full hollow blade.

I have only had 2 decent shaves, and I realize I have many several newbie mistakes, concerning the maintainance and honing of my blade.
My blade has become really dull, and can hardly shave anything - not even the hair on my arms (it pulls and requires force to do cut).
I have tried to hone it, and alas, not improved the blade.

So, I have invested in the follow honing gear:
1000/6000 japanese water-hone.
8000+ extra fine, black arkansas oil hone
dovo leather strop
strop paste (don't know which kind yet, they are in the mail)

I will attempt to hone it, with patience - follow the guides read on this forum.
The questions then:

1) Is 1000 grid okay for a super-dull razor? (it does have bevel though)
2) Can I shift from water-hones to oil-hones when finishing up?
3) Will I have to use the strop-paste on my strop, or can I leave it out?

I hope to achieve that shave and that great edge - if this does not work, I'll need to have an expert help me out - but I am located in Copenhagen, Denmark, meaning I know no-one that have that skill.

Thank you for reading this, and for any answars you may provide!

Hi,

1) Yes. The 1000 should reset your bevel. The 1k stone will make your razor cut again. Use plenty of water and some dozens of laps and keep trying until it starts shaving your arm hair again.
2) I don't have experience with oil stone, so I can't really say, sorry.
3) Well, since you don't know what grit equivalent is the paste you're getting, I'd leave them for now. Coming off the 8k and stropping linen+lather, you should get a good shave.

1) Is 1000 grid okay for a super-dull razor? (it does have bevel though)
2) Can I shift from water-hones to oil-hones when finishing up?
3) Will I have to use the strop-paste on my strop, or can I leave it out?

I hope to achieve that shave and that great edge - if this does not work, I'll need to have an expert help me out - but I am located in Copenhagen, Denmark, meaning I know no-one that have that skill.

Thank you for reading this, and for any answars you may provide!

I don't have any experience with the Arkansas hone but there should be no problem switching from water hones to oil hones. I have also read that, if haven't used oil on the Arkansas hone, you can also use water. On all your hones that use water, I would add a drop of liquid soap to the water. It breaks the surface tension and allows better contact between the razor and the hone. In particular, watch how the water flows over the top of the razor. If it isn't flowing over the top on part of the blade, there is a problem making contact and the blade may be warped. If there is a problem making contact, use an X-stroke and "roll" the blade slightly, i.e., during the stroke make a conscious effort to make each part of the blade come in contact with the hone during the stroke.

Wish I could be of help, but want to say welcome to B&B.

I don't have any experience with the Arkansas hone but there should be no problem switching from water hones to oil hones. I have also read that, if haven't used oil on the Arkansas hone, you can also use water. On all your hones that use water, I would add a drop of liquid soap to the water. It breaks the surface tension and allows better contact between the razor and the hone. In particular, watch how the water flows over the top of the razor. If it isn't flowing over the top on part of the blade, there is a problem making contact and the blade may be warped. If there is a problem making contact, use an X-stroke and "roll" the blade slightly, i.e., during the stroke make a conscious effort to make each part of the blade come in contact with the hone during the stroke.

Thanks for the tip on the liquid soap

Top Bottom