What's new

Thumb notches

Hi, gents.

I have seen talk and pictures regarding thumb notches. Just curious if there is functionality associated with thumb notches, or if its aesthetic (I think they look cool). Do they just allow you to grip up on the blade more, and nothing more?

TIA,

-Jason

Last edited:
I just got a set of razors with a thumbnotch - and I knew as soon as I picked it up that I liked it. The balance, grip, aesthetics and maneuverability were all fantastic.

On some I find it makes handling easier. It can also help get your thumb out of the way when you go to use the heal on your face. Style, too - a shoulderless, thumbnotched, French point blade is very nice to look at.

I personally think the blade profile suddenly turns all sexy with the notch...so hard to find notched blades though...I have a couple and wish they were in better shape so I could use them regularly...sigh...got to keep looking...got to keep looking :)

I personally think the blade profile suddenly turns all sexy with the notch...so hard to find notched blades though...I have a couple and wish they were in better shape so I could use them regularly...sigh...got to keep looking...got to keep looking :)

I used to suffer from the same dilemma...

It is like a bucket seat for your thumb!

Awesome. I love that analogy. :001_cool:

In my limited oggling, err... looking..., so far, I found that to be the case too. You never see them talked about in any of the "parts of a str8" diagrams, either. Which is what kinda lead to my question.

Are the notches a relatively new thing in the scheme of str8s, or do some vintage models have notches too?

Top Bottom