What's new

The wonders of the baking soda/aluminum foil trick - Big Fellow Before and After

My search for a Big Fellow is over. And my hope in the potential for great eBay scores is restored. Check out the before and after photos of this Old Type Big Fellow. It never ceases to amaze me what the baking soda/aluminum foil trick can do. Best of all of all - Zero cracks, perfectly straight teeth, 100% intact plating!

The before photos ...

Stunning! A big fellow is on my (currently) short list of old kit that I would like to pick up. I bet the old guy is going to be a great shaver. Are you planning to put him into rotation, or is he more of a looker for you?

Well done with the soda/ water trick! wow!

Beautiful... can you link me to the thread detailing the baking soda/aluminum foil trick? I have some candidates for that treatment

I worked in a fine restaurant for many years. We used to clean bucket after bucket of our silverware using foil, salt (speeds up the process) and baking soda. it works.

Wow, I use it to clean the razors in my rotation and it's a great method. I'll sure try out adding salt also. Great job Bryan and a great find too. :001_smile

I should also mention that we didn't measure anything.
The kitchen staff would yell at us because we were always using up their baking soda.:001_tt2:
I remember that it didn't take much salt. just a bit.

Thanks to all for the kind words!

Are you planning to put him into rotation, or is he more of a looker for you?

I definitely plan to use it. While I like collecting razors and displaying them on my shelf, they all get used.

Beautiful... can you link me to the thread detailing the baking soda/aluminum foil trick? I have some candidates for that treatment

Here is the link to a thread where I cleaned up a New Standard using the same method. At post #23ff. Len details the procedure. It's in another thread as well, but this one was easiest for me to find.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=130040

I wouldn't mind getting a breakdown as well....b.soda + a little salt in aluminum foil, rub vigorously?

Actually, that would just scratch up the razor pretty badly I would imagine. I posted a link above the details how to do it. But the basic idea is to line some sort of reservoir with aluminum foil, which you place the razor in. And then you add some boiling water that has baking soda mixed in. The thread above has the proper ratio and some more information.

Outstanding purchase, outstanding cleanup.

Would you be kind enough to share the formula quantities with us.

Thank you.

Richard

Top Bottom