What's new

The wonders of the baking soda/aluminum foil trick - Big Fellow Before and After

I wouldn't mind getting a breakdown as well....b.soda + a little salt in aluminum foil, rub vigorously?

Well as I remember, the object to be cleaned has to be touching the foil. it makes an electric contact with it. The water needs to be hot (we used boiling water). we didn't measure the baking soda, but you don't need much. I've heard some say 1 cup for every Gallon of water. So really, in a smaller dish you might get away with a tablespoon. The salt isn't neccesary, but we used it. It makes it go faster. When you've got a couple hundered knives and forks to polish, you don't want to be standing around. Oh and it gives off a nasty smell. That I remember.

Outstanding Brian, that's a thing of beauty :thumbup1:
Beautiful... can you link me to the thread detailing the baking soda/aluminum foil trick? I have some candidates for that treatment
An article on how/why it works is linked in my signature. So is another thread on the process. Keep in mind this is only for silver plated razors.
I wouldn't mind getting a breakdown as well....b.soda + a little salt in aluminum foil, rub vigorously?
No! Please don't do that, it'll destroy the finish. See below.

Well as I remember, the object to be cleaned has to be touching the foil. it makes an electric contact with it. The water needs to be hot (we used boiling water). we didn't measure the baking soda, but you don't need much. I've heard some say 1 cup for every Gallon of water. So really, in a smaller dish you might get away with a tablespoon. The salt isn't neccesary, but we used it. It makes it go faster. When you've got a couple hundered knives and forks to polish, you don't want to be standing around. Oh and it gives off a nasty smell. That I remember.
The nasty smell is sulfur. The tarnish is actually caused by sulfur from the air mixing with the silver over time, to form silver sulfide. With the outlined process, you are reversing that chemical reaction, and releasing the sulfur back into the air.

Thanks again to all for the kind words.

And I'll echo, again, T-Ricks words about NOT rubbing a razor with baking soda and aluminum foil. Rubbing aluminum foil on a razor would scratch up a razor. The link in his signature is where I got the idea. And there is another link above where Len talks about the process as well.

And T-Rick - I'm glad to hear that you are going to be putting together an article on the process. I was actually just thinking this morning that I should have done a photo tutorial. If I hadn't been so excited to get it in the mail and been a bit more clear headed, I would have done it. And if you are already on it, then I won't do another one.

I read over the process in the linked thread.

Will this work for any silver-looking finishes or strictly Silver (Ag)?

I'm not positive, but I'm fairly certain that it works only for razors with actual silver plating. From what I've read, the process reverses the specific tarnishing process of silver itself and nickel plated razors don't actually tarnish. So, I'm pretty sure that it works only for razors plated with actual silver.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Does this baking soda / aluminum foil trick only work on Silver . . . or will it work on carbon steel as well?

I read over the process in the linked thread.

Will this work for any silver-looking finishes or strictly Silver (Ag)?
I think silver or silver plate only (though I did see one person say they felt it worked on some nickle plated razors, I think it was simply the hot water and maybe the bubbling action of the reaction of the baking soda and aluminum, and I'm pretty sure results as good or better could be had by more conventional means on those.
Thanks again to all for the kind words.

And I'll echo, again, T-Ricks words about NOT rubbing a razor with baking soda and aluminum foil. Rubbing aluminum foil on a razor would scratch up a razor. The link in his signature is where I got the idea. And there is another link above where Len talks about the process as well.

And T-Rick - I'm glad to hear that you are going to be putting together an article on the process. I was actually just thinking this morning that I should have done a photo tutorial. If I hadn't been so excited to get it in the mail and been a bit more clear headed, I would have done it. And if you are already on it, then I won't do another one.
I think there's a misunderstanding, I have no plans to write an article, but if you check the other link in my sig, there is an article I found on the 'net on how/why this process works.

Does this baking soda / aluminum foil trick only work on Silver . . . or will it work on carbon steel as well?

AFAIK, only for silver. Have a look at the article in my sig and you'll understand why (it reverses the process of silver tarnishing).

Top Bottom