What's new

Golden Nib question...

Alright, so I ordered 5 knots from Tony at TGN - I also have a few knots that a purchased a few weeks back from Blankity-Blanks - I think perhaps I did something wrong. I measured my handle holes/shelf and chose those measurements and ordered those sized knots. So if the hole was 20.5mm I ordered a 20mm knot - did I do something wrong? Part of the reason I'm confused is, when comparing the base of my 20mm knot from TGN to my 20mm knot from BB's, the TGN is considerably smaller - the TGN knots are too small for my handles. For instance, I have a handle that I measured at 16mm...the 18mm from TGN fits nicely in that one. What should I do?

Did I screw up? What should I do in the future?

Generally TGN knots measure smaller at the resin plug than the stated knot size. They're usually the correct size at the brush opening after they're set in the brush. The exceptions to this are the UK super badger knots which are way smaller at the plug than the stated knot size and the extra hair knots which are generally spot-on or .5 to 1 mm smaller. I have in the past found variations of up to 1 mm in the same type of knot (hey, they're hand made).

Hypothetically if you use a 22mm knot which has a 20mm plug in a brush with a 20mm opening, you may find that the knot becomes so dense and tight that there is very little give in the bristles and no lather flow. This also depends on how deep you set the knot as the knots splay out upward from the base.

I usually set my knots so that I have a 46 - 50mm loft. This usually requires that I buy a knot one size smaller than the hole opening (extra hair knots) or the same size (silvertip).

I have only used 20mm, 21mm and 22mm knots. I have only used Super badger, 2 band Finest in fan and extra hair and grade A Sivertip. I have no experience with Blankity-Blanks.

Bottom line, if you're not happy I'm sure Tony will take care of you with no problem.

- Peter

Generally TGN knots measure smaller at the resin plug than the stated knot size. They're usually the correct size at the brush opening after they're set in the brush. The exceptions to this are the UK super badger knots which are way smaller at the plug than the stated knot size and the extra hair knots which are generally spot-on or .5 to 1 mm smaller. I have in the past found variations of up to 1 mm in the same type of knot (hey, they're hand made).

Hypothetically if you use a 22mm knot which has a 20mm plug in a brush with a 20mm opening, you may find that the knot becomes so dense and tight that there is very little give in the bristles and no lather flow. This also depends on how deep you set the knot as the knots splay out upward from the base.

I usually set my knots so that I have a 46 - 50mm loft. This usually requires that I buy a knot one size smaller than the hole opening (extra hair knots) or the same size (silvertip).

I have only used 20mm, 21mm and 22mm knots. I have only used Super badger, 2 band Finest in fan and extra hair and grade A Sivertip. I have no experience with Blankity-Blanks.

Bottom line, if you're not happy I'm sure Tony will take care of you with no problem.

- Peter

+1 to all of the above.

I have knots from both GN and BB. They are both good knots.You are right about the size. You can trim the epoxy base a little bit to get it to fit in the handle in most cases. A small amount of silicone is a good water proof adhesive and filler.
Cheers Rocket

Top Bottom