What's new

Cleaning up a vintage brass Matador De Luxe "Diplomat"

Came across my grandpas old DE razor: A beautiful Swedish Matador de luxe "diplomat". It´s a brass razor I think or maybe copper (it has small greenish stains here and there. Now I wonder how to restore it to the best shape possible. Has anyone cleaned such a razor successfully? What´s the best way to do it? I do not want to damage anything. Really like the razor.

J

I have not heard of it either. Maybe AG or Mr Razor has more info. But to start I would soak the razor in hot dish soap water and clean with a toothbrush. That should remove most of the green stains. I doubt if the razor was made with a brass finish but it sounds like that is the base metal used and any plating is wearing off.

Can you show us a photo of the razor?

Len

Last edited:
Wow! That is a really neat looking razor. I really like the barber pole spiral on the handle. And the corduroy looking lining on the inside of the case is really neat as well. And it is even better that this razor belong to your grandpa. I wish that I had a family heirloom like that. An excellent find!

Definitely just start off light with the toothbrush and dish soap. I would guess that will take care of most of it. And maybe something like scrubbing bubbles, which is a soap scum remover. I can't imagine that would cause any problems with that razor. But I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along shortly with some better advice.

And, again, that is a very cool razor!

Hello there fellow swede! I would use some dishwasherfluid like "YES" and a toothbrush, then I would polish it with aoutosol.
Var i sverige håller du till? jag bor i göteborg :)

I will try autosol for sure. Just spent quite a while working the razor with a toothbrush and some YES. The results were a bit disappointing. It got cleaner but still looks really worn.

Jag bor i Stockholm. :) Har du någon aning om var man kan få gamla svenska rakhyvlar, typ min Matador, daterade?

That's a nice looking razor. I don't know if you have Brasso in Sweden. But if you do don't use it. It's much too harsh. Actually it's perfect for brass door knobs and ship's fittings.

Len

I will try autosol for sure. Just spent quite a while working the razor with a toothbrush and some YES. The results were a bit disappointing. It got cleaner but still looks really worn.

Jag bor i Stockholm. :) Har du någon aning om var man kan få gamla svenska rakhyvlar, typ min Matador, daterade?

nä jag vet fan ingen annan än mig som är intresserad av gamla rakhyvlar i sverige:confused1.
men det borde väl finnas någon gammal räv som kan allt här i svedala med.:wink2:

to all other members here, im sorry for the swedish :001_rolle

After a few good soaks in water and a mild cleaner, much scrubbing with bathroom cleaning spray and two treatments with a mild brass cleaner grandpa´s old razor now looks real good. The case still needs some more work though, but the razor is ready for a test drive. Will have to wait a week or two with that as I am currently test driving my 60´s Gillette Slim Twist for at least three weeks (week three starting tomorrow). The Matador is one handsome razor I must say:

That looks great! I'm glad it cleaned up well for you. And being that this razor belonged to your grandpa just makes it that much better. Nice work!

Top Bottom