What's new

By the hair on the Chinny-Chin-Chin

I recently purchased my DE razor (Edwin Jagger 89L). So far, I've had great shaves with the razor. However, I seem to always get nicks on my chin.

Are there any helpful hints you could give me on shaving the chin area?

Thank you for your replies in advance.

For the sides of the chin I pull up on the cheeks towards the ears. For under the chin I'll just tilt my head back and pull down on the neck skin. This gives the skin a nice taut stretch, and makes it easier to get those tough whiskers in the chin area. :thumbup1:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I've no tips for you as I have a goatee myself. I just wanted to welcome you to B&B Mr. Bertram Wilberforce Wooster?

BW --

Nicks, ie, cuts, on the chin are indicative of an improper blade angle when shaving the chin.

The head of the DE is fixed, so you'll have to manually control the blade angle at your face. Use a shallow angle, and be mindful and very attentive that you don't gradually and inadvertently transition the razor to a steep angle.

Use short, deliberate, unhurried strokes and a light, minimal, delicate pressure on the razor.

You'll just have to be *very* aware of what you're doing when shaving the chin until you're comfortable with the DE. Take your time. I'll also say that even after several years shaving with the DE, if I cut myself (and fortunately that's very rare), it's invariably on the chin, so I'm not one to talk.

If you're attentive, you'll get past this stage rather quickly.

-- John Gehman

is there any other specific advice for those with a cleft chin? i just started wetshaving, and have done relatively well, but my "buttchin" is giving me grief.

silly as it sounds re-lathering the chin just before attacking it may help or applying a shave oil on it for extra lubrication might not hurt

Top Bottom