What's new

Razor rotation...now I got something! duh!

I guess I really haven't thought about it before but today it hit me. As I am starting to get in new razors and try them all, I was putting in a new blade in each and every one of them, so I ended up with 7 blades running alongside 7 razors in parallel.

So today I had a moment of clarity. As I was wondering how in heck I was going to use all these blades before they get corroded, I seen the light at the end of the tunnel. Why don't I move the blade alongside when I try a new razor. This will not only give me smoother shaves as I will not be using a blade a lot of time for the first time (worst shave of the blade), but will also allow me to throw away much less blades that will eventually get corroded and inefficient.

So is that how you guys do it? Move the same blade along when you do your razor rotation?

I use the same blade in the same razor until it is expired. Then I choose a new blade and, possibly, a new razor for the next week of shaves (3-4).

I use the same blade in the same razor until it is expired. Then I choose a new blade and, possibly, a new razor for the next week of shaves (3-4).

+1 here. Back in the dark ages of 2009 when I was doing my initial blade testing, that's the way I did it...

+2. The loaded razor stays in the razor/brush stand on top of my dresser and that way I know that all the razors in the drawer are empty. One close call was all it took.

I see, so you guys use the full blade before changing the razor. I guess I am a bit impatient and I want to try them all as they come in :blushing:

I change razor every day or two and I always take the blade out of the razor after use, so the blade gets swapped between different razors. I used to keep all the razors "loaded".

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

+1 here. Back in the dark ages of 2009 when I was doing my initial blade testing, that's the way I did it...

I always used a different razor each time I had to change blade, so about 4 shaves per razor

+1
What they said.

I found changing razors too frequently could cause issues just due to the differences in individual razors.
Takes a day or so to get used to the new razor in rotation, and didn't want to have consistently changing circumstances on my shaves.

It always takes me about 3 days to get used to a new razor, so if I were to jump around I would wait until the current blade got used up and start fresh on the new razor.

As I've mentioned before I use a different DE razor each day with the same blade Mon-Fri, and then use an SE Fri-Sun. I try to pick the types of razor to fit the blade. As an example if I decide to use a Feather I'll stick with Tech's or Super Speeds. If it's a Red IP, my favorite, I'll use an open comb or an adjustable.

I don't have any trouble making a blade last 4 days since I only shave about half my face because of the circle beard.

I use a different razor every day - I move the blade. I use a blade for two shaves & toss it.

When I first started I'd keep a blade with a razor - I couldn't keep track of how many shaves, etc.... It's much easier this way.

I see, so you guys use the full blade before changing the razor. I guess I am a bit impatient and I want to try them all as they come in :blushing:

My solution to getting a new razor in the mail is to toss the blade in my current razor and start over. Blades are cheap and plentiful. I don't feel bad about only using a blade once. I rarely use a blade more than twice anyway.

I do something similar - I don't see a problem in using a different razor each day while rotating the same blade. For me, I use three open-combs (Gillette New, Merkur 1904, and Merkur 11C) with a Gillette 7 O'Clock sharp. And then I use a HD slant for 4 days with a Feather.

As I've mentioned before I use a different DE razor each day with the same blade Mon-Fri, and then use an SE Fri-Sun. I try to pick the types of razor to fit the blade. As an example if I decide to use a Feather I'll stick with Tech's or Super Speeds. If it's a Red IP, my favorite, I'll use an open comb or an adjustable.

I don't have any trouble making a blade last 4 days since I only shave about half my face because of the circle beard.

Top Bottom