What's new

Weishi has just been delivered and...

It looks exactly like the Merkur 34c? I got this one because I couldnt wait for a Merkur to come in (backordered) and now I am thinking I should order the gold Merkur just so they look different, its a really nice looking razor. Does anyone have any experiences with these? Thanks!!!

Haha thanks! I like the way you guys think! I am also bidding on a gillette fatboy and just received the tweezerman badger brush (very inexpensive but highly reviewed). I also in the past few days have bought, Williams Mug soap, Marvi shave soap, Van der Hagen soap, a mug (plastic just for starters). Any soaps that you guys recommend? I am intrigued by the Truefitt & Hill (only because a certain Mr. Roger Ebert recommends it in such an amazing way http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2010/02/i_lived_in_dickens_london.html please enjoy and read). Anyway I have a feeling this is the start of something beautiful..

Welcome!

Aside from Williams and VdH, which you already have, I'd recommend trying Cade from L'Occitane at some point as well as just about any soap from Mama Bear. You've got a good selection of products to learn with, so there's no real hurry on adding anything new to the mix (although it is fun).

So you have a Weishi, and a Merkur HD is on the way. Those are on quite different ends of the spectrum in regards to aggressiveness.

I found the Weishi to be so mild, that it was effectively useless. I sold it after shaving with it for just one pass. I like mild razors (and shave frequently with my vintage Tech), but the Weishi took mild into the realm of the ridiculous. The Tech takes 3 passes for a close shave, the Weishi would have taken at least 6!!

I have a feeling, that once you shave with the Merkur HD, you won't likely use the Weishi ever again. :thumbup1:

Haha thanks! I like the way you guys think! I am also bidding on a gillette fatboy and just received the tweezerman badger brush (very inexpensive but highly reviewed). I also in the past few days have bought, Williams Mug soap, Marvi shave soap, Van der Hagen soap, a mug (plastic just for starters). Any soaps that you guys recommend? I am intrigued by the Truefitt & Hill (only because a certain Mr. Roger Ebert recommends it in such an amazing way http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2010/02/i_lived_in_dickens_london.html please enjoy and read). Anyway I have a feeling this is the start of something beautiful..

Welcome!
sounds like the ADs are kicking in.

I've had a Weishi for almost a year and I think it's a good razor to start training in DE shaving.

As far as it is very forgiving I allows you to experiment different techniques without a high risk of cuts or razor burns.

I've recently moved to a Merkur Futur and I really apreciete what I learnt from my good old Weishi.

I can't agree more about the Weishi. I love mine and I think it has been the perfect starter razor. It doesn't punish you at all, and as far as shaving, I feel that it shaves as closely as anything else I've used as long as I maintain a proper angle (and I have a very thick beard). I think a lot of the people who malign it don't really give it an honest chance.

The Fat Boy is undoubtedly a great razor as well, but the adjustability may make it easy for you to try to keep adjusting the razor instead of working on technique.

Welcome to the world of wetshaving! Enjoy!

I've had a Weishi for almost a year and I think it's a good razor to start training in DE shaving.

As far as it is very forgiving I allows you to experiment different techniques without a high risk of cuts or razor burns.

I've recently moved to a Merkur Futur and I really apreciete what I learnt from my good old Weishi.

I thank my Weishi for getting me started with DE's, but after trying others it does feel really cheap. As others say it's a start, but mine started rusting after two weeks use.

I have one that arrived last week. I have not used it yet(don't know that I will) I'm settled with rotating between Futur and Mergress. My son has shown some interest in westshaving, I might pass it on to him.

Welcome and congrats!

I started with the Futur and I absolutely love it. When I first got it, I set it on 9 not knowing any better. It was rough! Found this site and learned how to dial it in and get better with technique.

I have a Weishi Gunmetal DE which gives a great shave (YMMV). Seems to be well made, maybe I got one that was early on a production run. Many say that this is not an agressive razor, nevertheless it gives a good two pass shave for everyday use. With most two pass shaves my shave gives me a BBS shave for about eight hours before the stuble can be felt. Compares favorably with the inexpensive Feather Popular razor. Technique is most important. I learned this with and OC razor when I learned not to rake my face. Merkur Futur, Edwin Jagger DE89L, Goodfella user too

Welcome to B&B!

You have a nice razor. When I started out here I got a Weishi, and used it exclusively for five months. After that I started experimenting with other razors I found at flea/thrift/antique stores, and estate sales. I recommended it to my brother over the holidays actually. I think the Weishi does a very nice job of teaching one to find the correct angle by feel. To me it has a very small sweet spot, but I see it as an advantage. I did not get any cuts/nicks with it because if you didn't have the correct angle, the blade would not be near the skin. Great razor to start head shaving too!

Again, welcome, and have a great time here!

Top Bottom