What's new

Yanagi 1, Corned beef 0

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Round one of what I hope will be several sessions of corned beef cooking is in the books. It's easy to forget just how great this simple pleasure can be. Corned beef brisket, cabbage (at 10 cents a pound this time of year, buy extra heads for stuffed cabbage, too!), potatoes, good whole grain mustard, rye bread. Meat sliced thinner than my daughter's patience.

attachment.php

It's also time for an annual tradition that dates back longer than Scotto's mother-in-law's yearly defiling of one of his knives on Thanksgivings- the buying of the too small brisket by Mrs. Ouch. The standard phrases were uttered:
"It'll be fine."
"Will there be leftovers?"
"Do I have time to go to the store?"
And finally, after dinner, "I'm going to the store. Should I buy one large or two small?"

The answer, of course, is:
two large :lol:

Come on man! We need photos of the corned beef! Nothing I like better than a good corned beef sandwhich on rye with spicy mustard and swiss cheese. :drool::drool:

Well Corned beef hash is pretty good also. :laugh:

Very true. With a sunny side egg on top and some crispy hash browns on the side. Looks like I'll be stopping off for some corned beef hash at my favorite restaurant tomorrow. :thumbup:

ouch

Come on man! We need photos of the corned beef! Nothing I like better than a good corned beef sandwhich on rye with spicy mustard and swiss cheese. :drool::drool:

My fastest shutter speed is 1/8000 second, far too slow to catch anything other than a blur of my 13 year old corned beef eating machine.

Last edited:

ouch

Ouch, whom is the maker of that Yanagi?

That's yer basic kasumi grade Suisin-manufactured/ Korin-branded 300mm yanagi, purchased back when it was a whopping $90. I think they get a buck and a half for it now.

As I'm sure you're finding out, those single beveled knives are pretty task specific, so the yanagi usually only sees action involving turkey, brisket, and lox. :wink2:

My fastest shutter speed is 1/8000 second, far to slow to catch anything other than a blur of my 13 year old corned beef eating machine.

I hear you. My little guy is only 3 but I think he's hitting a growth spurt. Need to keep your hands and feet away from his mouth because he's been eating everything in sight. :scared:

That's yer basic kasumi grade Suisin-manufactured/ Korin-branded 300mm yanagi, purchased back when it was a whopping $90. I think they get a buck and a half for it now.

As I'm sure you're finding out, those single beveled knives are pretty task specific, so the yanagi usually only sees action involving turkey, brisket, and lox. :wink2:

Thanks!Shes a beut!

ouch

Thanks!Shes a beut!

That's the same one Scott bought when we all met last year (Hey- an anniversary is coming up, March 24th). I believe he bought the more useful 270.

Funny - I cut last night's corned beef with that same knife!

Home dry-cured brisket as usual in Chateau Scotto. I can't go back to the store bought stuff after starting to cure my own a few years ago. BTW, besides the grainy mustard, try fresh-ground horseradish mixed with sour cream :drool:

Top Bottom