What's new

Natural bristle toothbrush

I was in the Truefitt and Hill store in Chicago a few months ago and bought a natural bristle toothbrush (only about eight dollars, probably the cheapest item in the store) on a whim. I scoffed at the concept at first (just like I scoffed at the straight edge razors at the T and H store in London a couple of years ago), but can now say I am impressed. I have always have a problem with plaque build up and am on a three month cleaning schedule at the dentist because of this, despite using fancy ultrasonic toothbrushes and Listerine and such. My electric toothbrush stopped working, so I used the natural bristle one for a couple of months until I got around to replacing the electric one. I went to the dentist for a cleaning and, even though it had been six months since my last cleaning at that point, they said it was the first time in 20 years that I had no plaque at all. I figure the natural bristle is better than nylon in that the sides of the bristles are not actually smooth like the sides of the nylon ones, so natural bristle is likely an inherently superior scrubber than nylon, and also probably easier on the enamel. I'd encourage others to try these toothbrushes. Similar ones can be ordered from classic shaving and from DR Harris (I have just received a Harris toothbrush with a cool bone handle).

I have used natural boar hair toothbrushes for over a year now and I agree they do clean better. The bristles seem to be more pliable and can reach in between the teeth better than stiff nylon brushes. There is one concern and that is Anaerobic Bacteria. You should rinse your brush with water and then pour a little mouth wash over it, each time you use it. Also it is recommended that you get a new brush every three months.

Top Bottom