What's new

Water tales -d6e

When making lather, how much is too much water? You may be able to use more water than you think. I've been conservative in my approach, but always produced a satisfactory, full-bodied lather that maintained its consistency throughout the shave. This morning I made a mistake in my routine and made a surprising discovery.

Here's what happened. Removed my soaking brush its bowl. Dumped the water and added the normal amount of Proaso cream. Picked up the brush and started making lather. Realized I had not squeezed excess water from the brush. It was really wet and the cream exploded into a bowlful of light, foamy lather. It looked like a bubble bath. Kept on swirling and the lather settled down into a wonderful, creamy, shiny product that made for a great shave.

So today's lesson learned is that tipping point for additional water may be higher that you thought. Healthy lathering and happy shaving, everyone.

Agree completely. Starting out I changed everything in search of a good shave, then, like you, found out my lather was too dry and was causing all my problems. Glad it worked out and enjoy your shaves!

Good point. I'd add that what is too dry for some may be just right for others.

I think there is a fair amount of angst caused by members who are trying to get photogenic lather that "explodes out of the bowl" rather than concentrating on producing a mixture that shaves well for them.

good point. I'd add that what is too dry for some may be just right for others.

I think there is a fair amount of angst caused by members who are trying to get photogenic lather that "explodes out of the bowl" rather than concentrating on producing a mixture that shaves well for them.

+1

This is kind of like the argument with some straight razor users that the blade can be too sharp. I really can't agree. I think each soap or cream requires a different mix to produce the perfect lather. Some may prefer a drier or wetter lather but I don't think that changes the issue that there is pretty much a universal concept of what a perfect lather should be and most try to attain it. If you feel otherwise then in your case your just different which is fine but for most of us we try to attain that perfect lather or come as close to it as possible.

Congratulations on getting a great shave.

I have found the the majority of newbies are doing the opposite-Too little product and too much water.

Its a good idea to start dry and work up, you can never take the water out after its in the lather.

One experiment that I have found helpful for the new men, is to build a dryish lather and keep adding water a few drops at a time until its ruined.
This will demonstrate several phases of the lather and by testing it in your fingers, can see the effect of too little as well as too much water.

Congratulations on getting a great shave.

I have found the the majority of newbies are doing the opposite-Too little product and too much water.

Its a good idea to start dry and work up, you can never take the water out after its in the lather.

One experiment that I have found helpful for the new men, is to build a dryish lather and keep adding water a few drops at a time until its ruined.
This will demonstrate several phases of the lather and by testing it in your fingers, can see the effect of too little as well as too much water

Excellent advice.

Top Bottom