What's new

Mint Rolls Razor

The Rolls finally arrived :thumbup: I feel that I have made a great purchase. The only downfall of everything is that there is a slight indentation on the "strop". It seems that it was sitting so long and the handle made a indentation. Is this going to ruin the whole set or can this be fixed? Other than that I feel it is in Mint condition. I am open to any opinions good or bad so please feel free to add in on this.

The model is: Imperial No. 2
Serial Number: A576294

Here are the pics!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

First off, don't store the razor handle like in your picture - it can crack the hone!
there may be a groove in the end of the gear track in the case to allow the handle to be tucked in the side.
The strop can be dressed down to smooth it out or replaced - check out the Rolls Razor Social Group for lots more info...:thumbup1:

First off, don't store the razor handle like in your picture - it can crack the hone!
there may be a groove in the end of the gear track in the case to allow the handle to be tucked in the side.
The strop can be dressed down to smooth it out or replaced - check out the Rolls Razor Social Group for lots more info...:thumbup1:

I actually took the handle out completely and I have it sitting next to the case. I thought the same thing when I was opening it. Thanks for the tips!

The Rolls finally arrived :thumbup: I feel that I have made a great purchase. The only downfall of everything is that there is a slight indentation on the "strop". It seems that it was sitting so long and the handle made a indentation. Is this going to ruin the whole set or can this be fixed? Other than that I feel it is in Mint condition. I am open to any opinions good or bad so please feel free to add in on this.

Here are the pics!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

There is a groove in the gear rack along the side to store the handle so it will not crack the stone.

Earlier this year I wrote a fairly long post (upon request)

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=148136&highlight=Care+Feeding

hope this is helpful. Only real dangers seem to be letting rust start on the blade edge abd getting oil on the spindle. The latter must be kept dry to maintain the proper pressure of the blade against the strop and hone.

Don't hesitate to shave with it, after all, that what it was made to do. If you want to keep it as a museum piece, that is ok too, just decide which is more important to you.

:shaving:

Was the Rolls Razor made in stainless steel? If not, it would seem that like a straight razor not made of stainless steel it would require considerable care and that concerns me because it would bother me if I ruined a fine shaving instrument.

As noted earlier, it is rustable high carbon steel. Stainless steel what would take and hold a fine edge was not developed until quite a few years later, I'm not sure how much later, but I remember trying to sharpen some kitchen knives of stainless in the 60's and the material was "mushy" and would neither take nor hold a good edge. The blade on the Rolls, however, is capable of taking a very fine edge and with care will hold it well, like the best of the straight razors.

:shaving:

That looks exactly like the one I got on ebay about 3 months ago for $18 shipped. Then a few weeks ago I purchased 2 in great condition with cardboard boxes here on B&B for $20 shipped.

Here are the pics!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php