What's new

Vintage Shave Cream... Safe to use??

Hi All, I recently aquired a tube of Old Spice shave cream (vintage/Shulton branded) from a gift shop, in a aluminum tube, looks nothing like the one pictured in B&B reviews. Product seems dry, slight fragrance, but lathers pretty good when hydrated. My only concern is that when the product is squeezed out, it seems to be streaked/stained silver/grey. It seems to have taken on the aluminum colour of the tube. Do you think it's safe to use ???
Your expert advice is appreciated.

It's probably a question of comfort. There have been studies linking aluminum ingestion to Alzheimer's, but your not eating the stuff, just wiping it on and off your face. This is coming from someone who cooks with anodized aluminum cookware almost every day, but I say you should be safe to try it at least once, if you really want to.

Personally I would toss it. The fact that the color is off should tell you that something isn't right. Why risk it?

Vintage shave soaps are probably safe to use though and shouldn't have any issues with something from a container like a tube leaching into them.

The one in the B&B reviews is current production, made in India. If you really need Old Spice SC, find a vendor for that stuff and order a tube.

Thanks for the replies, I may just try it... at least once. If not I found a nice piece of nostalgia to add to The Den, and hey... if I break out in a terrible rash, I'll be sure to let you guys know if it was safe to use or not!?

Top Bottom