What's new

The Confessional: the hall of blown dinners, ruined meals, and other disasters

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Some things can not be unseen. Thanks for looking out for us Aaron.

Thanks Chris. Pictures would have dealt us all a big blow and set us back centuries.

Sure I would- I have screwed up plenty in my time. I put my pants on, just like the rest of you, one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I make gold records.

Fried pants would have looked and tasted better...well maybe not tasted better.

Yes. THE Bruce Dickinson. Fellas, you have what appears to be a dynamite sound. But I gotta tell ya. I have a fever. And the only prescription is more cowbell!

(hopefully Owen isn't the only one to get the joke)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Yes. THE Bruce Dickinson. Fellas, you have what appears to be a dynamite sound. But I gotta tell ya. I have a fever. And the only prescription is more cowbell!

(hopefully Owen isn't the only one to get the joke)
I'm just glad someone got mine

After buying PRIME Sirloin at Costco since last September (they always sell the Sirloin roast for $6.17/lb), we bought a rib roast on sale at Kroger for $6.99/lb.

Is it just us? We couldn't eat them. Cooked them good and med rare. It was just a too soft richer/fattier cut and I couldn't finish. Going back to the Sirloin.

BTW I like buying the roast so I can carve them into THICK steaks, as local butchers must be on diets... they always cut them thin :bored:
We like them in the 1 1/2" to 2" realms. Cook them on a scalding hot skillet with only cracked sea salt and pepper Chef Ramsey style.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
After buying PRIME Sirloin at Costco since last September (they always sell the Sirloin roast for $6.17/lb), we bought a rib roast on sale at Kroger for $6.99/lb.

Is it just us? We couldn't eat them. Cooked them good and med rare. It was just a too soft richer/fattier cut and I couldn't finish. Going back to the Sirloin.

BTW I like buying the roast so I can carve them into THICK steaks, as local butchers must be on diets... they always cut them thin :bored:
We like them in the 1 1/2" to 2" realms. Cook them on a scalding hot skillet with only cracked sea salt and pepper Chef Ramsey style.

I found ribeyes are better taken to medium- then the flavor pops. Sirloin needs medium rare to compensate for its lack of fat- cook it to medium and you have shoe leather.

Back when I had kids in, probably, late grammar school, I looked in the oven and all looked fine. I turned the oven on to preheat for a pizza. Well, the kids had been doing a craft with plastic that shrinks when heated and some of that must have been left in the bottom of the oven and I missed it. About the time the preheat is done, the inside of the oven is in flames with an acrid smoke coming out. Naturally, I turned it off and opened it. That did not solve much. I had to hit it with the fire extinguisher to put it out. What a mess. And to add to the confusion, while I am trying to get the smoke out of the house, the alarm company calls and won't take we are OK for an answer, but needs the authentication code. We ate out that evening and had to replace the oven.

You do realize that dust from the fire extinguisher is a live organism. How else would it travel through the house, up the stairs, and into my closet...

Ask me how I know :)

Would you have a little unsolicited advice from someone who has had a lot of success with prime rib roasts?

I follow something that looks more like a formula than a recipe:

1) get the meat out of the fridge and let it come up to room temperature. Sounds scary, but trust me.

2) preheat oven to 500 (yes, five hundred) degrees. Roast for 15 minutes bones on the bottom

3) turn the oven down to 350.

If you like it medium rare, roast for 15 min per pound plus 15 min. If you want it cooked medium, then roast for 20 min per pound plus 20 min.

4) let it rest for 10-15 minutes before carving

**neat trick: if you're serving a crowd with different tastes for done-ness, get two roasts. Do the math for both cook times, and figure out the difference. Putthem in together for that first 15 at 500, then pull one and hold it out *for the difference, then pop it back in. They'll both be done at the same time, but one will be more rare than the other.

Hope this helps someone :)

Last edited:
Invited my new girlfriend over for dinner in college to impress her. Had some boneless chicken breasts that I was going to throw on our houses shared gas grill. My roommates had grilled burgers the previous night and the 'flavor bars' were covered in grease. Chicken went on, grease ignited, chicken was covered in nasty sooty blackness. We ate it anyways.

Making a breakfast casserole with my current gf. Needed to crack like a dozen eggs into a bowl to whip up and pour over the rest of the fixins in the pan. Crack the first few eggs as I was supposed to - into the bowl, deposited the shell in the sink. The next, I crack on the edge of the sink, drop the egg straight into the drain, toss the shell right on top of it. I stare down like "wow I'm a dumba$$". As I'm saying how dumb I am in my head I then do the same exact thing again. At this point I'm dying laughing, the gf comes into the kitchen and I tell her what I did and show her the egg in the drain. She laughs and I go back to the eggs. I do the same thing AGAIN. Right into the drain. Now she is literally rolling on the floor laughing and I was getting a solid ab workout. hahaha. Anyways, we had extra eggs, and the casserole was great!

Tonight, there was a pizza crisis. I made slow rise dough according to a recipe that I found online, everything appeared to be going well on Wednesday when I placed it into the fridge.

Today I took it out to let it come up to room temp; there was moderate swelling, so I thought it would be fine once it heated up. After 3 hours, there was nothing. I heated the oven to 100F to get it to proof...still nothing. It was now just before 5p and supper is at 6p

I scrap the dough out on the counter - it was very very soft. I start working it with some add'l flour, but it was now 5:15p and the call needed to be made....the call for takeout pizza (which tastes of shame). I carve off one piece of dough and set the rest back into the fridge - I will try another rise and if that doesnt take, I will re-yeast and see where it goes.

The piece of dough that I kept out was made into a smoked chicken, red onion and spinach pizza out on the BGE. It didnt rise at all, producing a crisp flatbread pizza that was tasty, but not the consistency that I normally get.

The other pizzas from the restaurant were good, but it was hard to enjoy them without being reminded of the pizza dough betrayal. "Was the yeast too old, did I over-salt, was there too much/too little hydration, did I fail to knead the dough sufficiently" - all of these tortuous questions.

Aaannnddd - there, I am over it

Christmas this year.
Too hot to do the turkey indoors and cooking on the gas weber would free up the oven.
I took my carefully dry bribed and seasoned and spatchcocked bird to the preheated grill.
I aimed for a 420 degree spot, and got it to 410. Mild adjusting of the knobs got it to 415. Checked 15 minutes later, still 415.
Phew, that was easy, thought I. I'll go do some inside prep.
20 minutes later I looked outside to see billowing smoke. Somehow the grill soared to 600 behind my back. Legs were black, the breast was in flames, and the meat was not yet done.
I finished it off at 375 thinking I had ruined the roast beast.

It looked like crap, there was carbon soot everywhere, but other than an overcooked outer edge, the breast was the most delicious and tender I've ever done a turkey. Even the legs were great.
Dry brining and spatchcocking is definitely the way to go, just need to work on temp control.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
First meal of this year wasn't so great. I burnt the toast (last 2 pieces in the loaf), over cooked the fried eggs and burnt the diced onions in my Homefry hash browns.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
First meal of this year wasn't so great. I burnt the toast (last 2 pieces in the loaf), over cooked the fried eggs and burnt the diced onions in my Homefry hash browns.
My maternal grandfather wouldn't eat toast if it wasn't burnt- and I mean black. Many a time he sent it back because a cook didn't believe someone wanted their toast burnt.

Was attempting to make a nice BBQ sauce, to compliment some rather nice home made burgers...
However, as I gleefully added ingredients to it... threw a few " randoms" in to try to give it a bit of a twist.
Ended up with something that gave off a smell not unlike ammonia and tasting like something you would find percolating down through layers of kitty litter.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Was attempting to make a nice BBQ sauce, to compliment some rather nice home made burgers...
However, as I gleefully added ingredients to it... threw a few " randoms" in to try to give it a bit of a twist.
Ended up with something that gave off a smell not unlike ammonia and tasting like something you would find percolating down through layers of kitty litter.

At least you gave it a go. Most don't even try. Here's a recipe from a local BBQ cooking king around here.

http://www.eater.com/2015/7/2/8864653/franklin-barbecue-sauce-recipe-meat-burgers-ribs

"At least you gave it a go. Most don't even try. Here's a recipe from a local BBQ cooking king around here" [MENTION=83342]DoctorShavegood[/MENTION] thanks for that....
The stupid thing was that I already had a perfectly good recipe for a really good all rounder BBQ sauce... Sadly the sudden urge to experiment got the better of my desire to just make good food.
On the plus side, the dirt simple reduction of red wine sweetened with honey and a dash of roast garlic saved the day...

Last edited:
I know it takes time to learn a new gadget. I've been using the new electric pressure cooker now for a few weeks. Have cooked 7 meals in it. 3 Chicken, 1 roast, Short ribs, 2 pork meals.

Beef totally came out good. Chicken and pork were totally screwed up

I put pork chops in and they came up crumbly and crappy tasting. Not moist at all. One was salt, pepper and chicken stock for liquid. Second was a spice rub and chicken stock.

Chicken came out just tasting bad. Stubbs chicken rub and chicken stock. Salt and pepper and chicken stock (Hoped to put this with noodles for a chicken and noodle soup.

The beef came out sooo well. Salt, pepper, beef stock. This is disheartening.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I know it takes time to learn a new gadget. I've been using the new electric pressure cooker now for a few weeks. Have cooked 7 meals in it. 3 Chicken, 1 roast, Short ribs, 2 pork meals.

Beef totally came out good. Chicken and pork were totally screwed up

I put pork chops in and they came up crumbly and crappy tasting. Not moist at all. One was salt, pepper and chicken stock for liquid. Second was a spice rub and chicken stock.

Chicken came out just tasting bad. Stubbs chicken rub and chicken stock. Salt and pepper and chicken stock (Hoped to put this with noodles for a chicken and noodle soup.

The beef came out sooo well. Salt, pepper, beef stock. This is disheartening.

Have you checked out any videos on youtube? Maybe there is recipe with steps on how to make some improvements.

Top Bottom