What's new

Broken Fat Boy?

I just received the fat boy i got on the bay and I have a problem I think?

It seems like the blade gap is not even along the edge of the safety bar. One side of the razor is more closed than the other if that makes sense. this is on any setting!

it also seems like the TTO closes the doors flush to the middle metal thing, but if you turn it a little more to "lock it" it's no longer flush...

I asked the seller if it is in working order and he did say yes, but maybe he did not know what to look for?

Am I crazy and all fat boys are like this or is mine actually messed up? Is there any way to fix this easily if this is a true problem?

there are a few threads going around with directions on how to fix a bent safety bar on a fatboy. this thread has lots of good info.

as for the doors, i'm not quite sure. i'll leave that to the more experienced tinkerers. can you post any pictures of the doors when "locked" and "unlocked"?

Last edited:
proxy.php

proxy.php

ive used that thread to bend the bar back a little and it seems to be better. but it seems that if i open the silo doors and then close them that the "slant" appears again somewhat...

It is definitely not in a "good working order" as advertised. It wa sprobably dropped and that's why it is bent.

im not really sure where to go from here. is it salvageable or should i try to get my money back or sell it as is? i paid 30 i guess you get what you pay for.

you get what you pay for.

that all depends. i got one in good working order for $35... all depends on the seller's honesty and working knowledge of the english language :001_tt2:

i can't tell from the pics: are the doors bent down on the one end or is it the safety bar that is bent up?

its really hard to say if its the doors or the bar... i would lean towards the bar being the problem. however, on 1 it seems like there is like NO blade gap on one side... to the point where it would just not shave. I've never had a normal fat boy so I don't know if that's how it is normally, but it seems like it shouldn't be. if i could, i would bring the safety bar DOWN on that end of the razor, but that has been easier said than done so far.

Your FatBoy kinda looks like this #66.

Look at post No 13 in that thread. This may be helpful.....

Brian has shown me photos that show great improvement, Good luck with yours.

to bad but it looks like a throw away to me.

i wouldn't jump to that conclusion right away considering even my newbie self was able to bend the bar enough to make it almost symmetrical... probably enough to shave with without even noticing. in more capable hands it could be an easy fix

i reckon if you follow that tear down guide, and look at the individual pieces, you'll pretty quickly see whats bent and work it out from there.

I wouldnt be giving up yet

Top Bottom