What's new

Help on how to build a collection

hey everyone, I've started to build a collection (i.e. brainwashed by you guys) and I was wondering how you went about finding a particular piece. Googling doesn't seem to do the trick, so is my best bet to sit and wait for it on ebay?

I make weekly rounds of junk (antique) shops and flea markets, garage sales etc. I usually find 2-3 pieces a week. Much more economical than the bay!

thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to try that out. Do you often go out with something in mind and come away with exactly that?

Nope not ever. I look for DE, straights, mugs/bowls etc etc...I hope for things but don't focus on one thing, way to much disappointment that way!

The key is to find markets etc that have vendors that update their inventories a lot and go there often. Even ask vendors "what days do you come and update your stock?" I never tell vendors "I am looking for_______" cause I gaurantee if you tell 'em youll buy the first fatboy they find....they'll find one all right, and you probably won't like the price. (Just my experience though there are many vendors who will even stear you to another vendor but be careful!)

Enjoy the hunt, I actually enjoy the looking more than the finding?!

Doh....I have to edit this for my own stupidity...If you are after a specific piece you "might" try the B&B B/S/T forum!!!

Last edited:
Although I have used both, I can't really recommend ebay (too expensive) or BST (too sporadic). As in so many things in life, if you want to be successful, you have to get off the beaten track where everyone else is bumping and jostling, or just standing around gaping. In this case, the key is finding an obscure antiques web site, preferably a non-auction one and unknown to B&Bers, where razors occasionally appear. When they do, you pounce! The rewards can be amazing. How about a silver-plated Aristocrat #15 for twenty bucks? It happens.

Last edited:
Top Bottom