What's new

Finding Your Own?

Okay, This is a bit of a question I've been running through my head these last couple of days. What sort of stone, If you were to go into your back yard, Would be suitable as a hone?

I mean, Not if you lived where they mined such things, But if you looked out in your own back yard.

I'm not even sure what what I'm getting at here, apart form I'm curious and pondering what sort of gelogical classification our favorite Natural Hones are, Whether they be JNats, Cotis, Arkys, Etc

I'm "guessing" they're all Sedimentary Rocks of some sort, But then, Translucient Arkys look to be more igneous... :confused1

ha ha... Don't feel bad.. I'm a Left Fielder too!:wink2::lol::lol::lol:
I know what you mean though... but I guess it would depend on what you are sharpening. I'm guessing that coticule deposits are one of those flukes of nature... but I use a concrete floor to sharpen damaged chisels so I'd say as long as you didn't want to shave with it... knock yourself out!

Before international shipping, you've gotta figure people did use whatever was local. But when shipping became an option, they'd drop local and start importing, if the prices were right. I would assume that by now, the "best" hones are the ones that you already know about.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that in the pioneer days, America and Australia, men made use of stones found on the ground or in streams and rivers.

When it comes down to it you can use just about every imaginable thing to hone with. Its just that there are some materials that are way better than others and that's why people pay more to get those materials.

Top Bottom