What's new

Razor Rotation?

I've read a few times that people have several razors in their regular rotation. What is the point of this, and how does a razor rotation work? Is it just for the sake of variety, or do you change razors for a different level of shave?
I know I ask lots of strange questions, but my favorite thing about the B&B is how willing everyone is to help out the newbies. Thanks guys.

Variety is the spice of life. :001_smile

Also, different razors shave differently, and blades perform differently in different razors. For example, if I am feeling not particularly swift in the morning, or was not paying attention the day before and got some razor burn, I go with a mild razor and forgiving blade.

I thought that rotating razors was kind of ostentatious when I first heard of it. Of course, back then I only had a Merkur HD.

I have since added an HD long handle, Fatboy, Jagger 89 and Super Speed. The Fatboy set at 2 is great for my lower neck and the others are great for the rest of my face. I am in the process of getting a Ranger and a Diplomat. So, rotating razors now makes sense since they all shave a little differently.

I own probably 20 different DE razors and like them all but my go to razor is a 1930's Ball Handled New. I find that most of the time I use the New but ever now and then it is nice to try a different razor.

Most of the time it's just to regulate variety. I myself just play it by ear. If I feel like shaving with a particular razor that day, I just whip it out, no system needed.

Yes, variety and also length of time between shaves, or if I am in a hurry, or if I have all the time in the world.

I like to use de and straights.

It's just plain fun for me using different tools from years gone by. My usual rotation is to use a different DE each day Mon-Fri and then an SE on Fri-Sun. I've found that one DE blade lasts 4 days, and the SE will last 3. I occasionally replace one DE day with an SE just cause I like em so much!

When I started this hobby I bought several different razors but could only get a good shave from the first one I owned 23C Merkur. I would cut myself with the others or not shave any of the beard off. After about a month I started rotating them and now get a fine shave with each of them, even the ones I was ready to throw away. It is like the others said variety is the spice of life.

PINAUD!

I usually rotate razors (4) when I change blades, every 2-3 shaves and it usually depends on how close or how comfortable a shave I'm in the mood for. Shaving with the same cartridge and goo was so boring and I don't want to fall back in that rut.

I love a good variety!.. You will also notice that each shaver has a slightly different technique (angle/pressure) required to get that elusive BBS shave

Bob's Bull Mastiff Deluxe XL is in my rotation.That razor will out live us all. I just hate the idea of leaving it. I hope I get good shave gear in Heaven,lol.

As I got into DE shaving, I began collecting vintage razors. Soon an AD developed. I ended up with 15 razors and while they are nice to look at, they were designed to be used. Thus, I use all of my razors and the only way to do that is by rotating them. I usually use one razor for the life of the blade (3 or 4 shaves) and then switch to another.

Pete

Top Bottom