What's new

Neck rash, solutions? (pics)

OK so i had my second DE shave today.

Pre-shave: i showered, washed my face with nivea face wash and also with neutrogena razor defence face scrub

shave: Proraso, merkur barber pole, wilks sword blades, kingsley pure badger brush, (2 passes, N-S)

post-shave: i used a pacific shaving nick stick (yeowch) as there was a little bleeding on my neck along with alot of irritation. I also applied, in this order, witch hazel, nivea replenishing balm, and eucerin face lotion.

now most of my face feels good :001_smile
but on the sides of my neck there is a rash thing and alot of irritation, pics (extreme close-up):

I suspect the rash is a combination of improper blade angle and too much pressure. For what it may be worth... "No Pressure" is the mantra you'll see a lot on this board. It took me quite some time to fully appreciate just how little pressure is "no pressure."

Good luck. I promise you it will get better. And, if you're like many of us, quite quickly.

Yup, that's razorburn and you need to focus on your technique. If it hurts bad, put some neosporin on it before bed. Only thing you can really to make it go away completely is to let your face heal.

Yup, that's razorburn and you need to focus on your technique. If it hurts bad, put some neosporin on it before bed. Only thing you can really to make it go away completely is to let your face heal.

+1 here. Give that a couple days to heal. The try just holding your razor at the bottom of the handle with just your thumb and fore finger. Let that be all the weight you use, and shave that way. Of course that won't work that good, but it'll give you an idea of the no pressure, you'll be able to shave though and once you realize how little pressure you need you'll be able to work on your technique. :w00t:

That second picture you can clearly see the path of the razor. Or at least it looks that way to me. I'd certainly give your face a rest for a day or two if you can.
As the other posters have said, less pressure.

Ive found the Hydrocortisone Cream will help with the inflammation. Works better for me anyways.

Last edited:
+1 here. Give that a couple days to heal. The try just holding your razor at the bottom of the handle with just your thumb and fore finger. Let that be all the weight you use, and shave that way. Of course that won't work that good, but it'll give you an idea of the no pressure, you'll be able to shave though and once you realize how little pressure you need you'll be able to work on your technique. :w00t:

+1. You may want to get an alum block as well. I would also order a blade sampler from www.westcoastshaving.com and try some different blades. You might have some luck with a Derby or Red Personna.

Good luck!

Steroid creams increase risk of infection and lead to thinning of the skin. Antibiotic creams are just storing up trouble for the future with resistant bacteria etc. Concentrate on technique and use an alum block.

Top Bottom