What's new

Mysterious French Point

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I have a story...

I bought a few razors from different sellers from Ebay in the past month or so (aaah SRAD :001_rolle) and I was cleaning up my empty boxes yesterday. I usually stack everything in a single pile and when it looks like Pisa tower, I clean it up... My methodology isn't very popular around here...

Anywho... Un-doing the boxes for recycling and making sure that I have a plastic pile, paper pile, etc. I picked-up a piece of paper, rolled really tight. It used to contain another razor that I bought, I pushed the razor out and never un-rolled it...

I unrolled it and surprise surprise... A blade, no scales... I'm happy, the blade as a bit of rust, I cleaned it (no, I didn't take any pictures before.) and it looks nice.

I'm unsure of the maker and on the other side there's a strange 'logo' next to the 746 stamped on the razor...

What I can read. GE??????R STOLL. ?OCHE-SOLINGEN. Other side. 746 AU0A or something. No idea what it means...

I estimate the blade to be 11/16 (I didn't measure it). It's also very light.
Any idea of what it is?

You are a lucky man! It is Gebrüder Stoll, Foche-Solingen, manufactured between 1900 and 1922, under brand name "Gallop". Enjoy!

Luc

Staff member
Ah cool, thanks mate!

You are a lucky man! It is Gebrüder Stoll, Foche-Solingen, manufactured between 1900 and 1922, under brand name "Gallop". Enjoy!

wow. well done, good sir!

Luc, that looks a lot like my weyersberg cornetta french point. freshly polished and honed by lynn but i'm still debating whether to try it or sell it.

Luc

Staff member
wow. well done, good sir!

Luc, that looks a lot like my weyersberg cornetta french point. freshly polished and honed by lynn but i'm still debating whether to try it or sell it.

You should try it before you sell it...

B

bluefoxicy

Go up a few grits with the sandpaper, that thing's all scratchy.

Luc

Staff member
Nice find Luc, I see you managed to take pictures after the surrounding laughter died down :biggrin1:

Yes, I still need to work on it a bit. I regret not taking any pictures before I started. On the last one where the Spine of the French point is was covered by a huge, red, orange, alive, piece of rust. All nice and shiny now...

Go up a few grits with the sandpaper, that thing's all scratchy.

Yup, it's a work in progress... I should hit the 1200 this week-end...

Top Bottom