Hello again -
After my initial problems, I have been shaving now with a Slant/Feather combo for the last two weeks with great success, thanks to the recommendations I have found here at B&B. Thank you all! But I continue to have problems with my neck and my chin, which I understand is not uncommon.
Remember that at 57, I have some "significant" wrinkling on my neck and my chin...
Here is my shaving method:
1. Hot shower - wash face with Neutragena Razor Defense Daily Face Scrub. I leave it on for the duration of the shower, then rinse it off. (it WORKS to soften my beard .... does not seem to irritate me much)
2. Place warm-to-hot wash cloths on face for 2-3 minutes.
3. Will G's Peppermint Soap - lather in warm bowl with Shavemac 220 brush; rinse face with fresh hot water and relather between passes. 8 drops of PSO before each lather application.
4. Shave N-S on cheeks, S-N on neck, lightly N-S on chin
5. Shave ear to chin on cheeks, again S-N on neck (I tried stretching out the vertical "old man" wrinkles on my neck and shaving ear to chin, lightly. Cut myself several times, even with a Progress/Merkur on "1" . Seems too hard to smooth out the wrinkles...). Also shave LIGHTLY across chin (severe wrinkles here, same stretching problem).
6. Shave S-N on cheeks, N-S on neck.
7. Apply DaVinci Toner, followed by Tendskin, (LIGHT DABS -- sorry, Joel!), followed in about 15 minutes with Harris A/S Milk.
My cheeks and jawline are VERY smooth, but my neck and chin still have lots of stubble after 3-4 passes. I've examined the hairs on my neck, and I'm afraid they are just as curly as the hair on my head -- very little discernible growth direction. My chin has severe wrinkling on both sides, and I've found it VERY hard to shave it with a DE. I used the Fusion Power as a test on my neck and chin, one pass up and one pass down, and it took off the hair -- but caused a fair amount of razor burn. I guess this makes sense, since it is the equivalent of 10 passes with a DE, right?
Any suggestions as to how to better shave my neck and my chin? I would love to get better success in these problem areas. There has been no significant improvement in these trouble areas in two weeks, whereas my cheeks and jaw are pretty happy now!
ps. Joel -- I'm really going as lightly as I can with the Tendskin now. But if I skip it, my face starts burning after about 1/2 hour. Tried 99% aloe -- felt good, but the burn still overcame it...