What's new

Fragrance for a Cad?

What sort of a fragrance would a real bounder wear? I'm thinking a Sir Percival Ware-Armitage, Flashman, disreputable sort of aristo-scoundrel. Main character features include dishonesty, cowardice and lechery.

I'm wondering if any of the Trumpers colognes would fit the bill? Eucris probably not because it suggests a degree of backbone obviously lacking in the character. Spanish Leather I think is too clean, brings to mind healthy pursuits such as hunting and shooting, not playing Baccarat until sunrise in a gentlemans club. Perhaps one of their other fragrances though, maybe Astor or Marlborough. Posh enough, amply old school, but a little different, with herbs and spice, not too much like soap.

What can you gents think of?

What sort of a fragrance would a real bounder wear? I'm thinking a Sir Percival Ware-Armitage, Flashman, disreputable sort of aristo-scoundrel. Main character features include dishonesty, cowardice and lechery.

I'm wondering if any of the Trumpers colognes would fit the bill? Eucris probably not because it suggests a degree of backbone obviously lacking in the character. Spanish Leather I think is too clean, brings to mind healthy pursuits such as hunting and shooting, not playing Baccarat until sunrise in a gentlemans club. Perhaps one of their other fragrances though, maybe Astor or Marlborough. Posh enough, amply old school, but a little different, with herbs and spice, not too much like soap.

What can you gents think of?

Do you want this to wear yourself, a gift for a cad, rake, bounder, scoundrel (a girlfriend used those in that order many years ago to describe me - sigh), or are you writing an Ian Fleming-like description of a character?

This scoundrel has several sub species. I went for the one that picks the young chick out of the coup, so I did a search for Lolita. What I came up with is almost a caricature of decadence: Lolita Lempika Au Masculin, notes of absinthe, violets, vanilla.

This cologne has actually gotten excellent reviews, but I had to laugh at this.

Putting that aside, a true aristocrat would not stray far from his patrician roots. So, whatever it was would be different in degree but not kind. For instance, maybe lavendar, but the wrong lavendar somehow, and too much of it, etc.

Last edited:
This scoundrel has several sub species. I went for the one that picks the young chick out of the coup, so I did a search for Lolita. What I came up with is almost a caricature of decadence: Lolita Lempika Au Masculin, notes of absinthe, violets, vanilla.

This cologne has actually gotten excellent reviews, but I had to laugh at this.

Too funny - I saw that cologne somewhere or other and wouldn't even try it because the connotations were just too creepy!

(At least they didn't call it "Lolita Lempika's 'Humbert.'")

Oh, I would have recommended Hammam Bouquet, but I see that as a fragrance for a degenerate fop rather than for a cad.

(J/k, HB fans - love the stuff.)

Oh, I would have recommended Hammam Bouquet, but I see that as a fragrance for a degenerate fop rather than for a cad.

(J/k, HB fans - love the stuff.)

I also thought of Hammam Bouquet, but I think that would probably be more fitting for a jackanape :lol:

Now I'm terrified that people will think I'm a poltroon when I wear Hammam Bouquet.

I didn't have you in mind when I posted that!

Thanks, I appreciate that. (You can just disregard the libel papers when you get served. And count your blessings - my lawyer wears Knize Ten!)

Terrified? Poltroon? No love for that? Anyone? Oh, well - I had to look it up, too.

Last edited:
Can you gents recommend something for a wastrel? I'd look it up, but it's too much effort, and I'm a tad hung over...

Hoyt's, of course, is the gambler's scent. I assume a dandy or cad might have doused himself in it, too.

Pen's HN came to my mind, too, although I like it and I really like Hoyt's.

Lolita Lempicka doesn't fit. Too modern. Too sensitive. Too wonderful.

True, I was unfair to Lempika since I've never smelt it, and it is too modern for the fallen aristocrat I was envisioning.

If you take M&L Florida water and let it get some age on it, the orange will take on a distinct odor of petroleum (lighter fluid?), especially on a hot day; I'd categorize it as an animal scent (aged dinosaur). That might do the trick, the problem is that the aristocracy refuses to reapply it enough during the day to do any real damage to others.

Last edited:
Top Bottom