What's new

Thinning hair

Alright guys, here's a sensitive topic thinning hair. I'm 23 and over the last two years have noticed my hair to be thinning, especially around the forehead. (receding hairline) Has anyone used any products that have helped combat hair loss and maybe even started regrowth? I was thinking about purchasing some Rogaine and giving that a try. What do you think?

Visit your physician to make sure there are no maladies that are causing your hair to fall out. Stress and other factors sometime affect your health as well as your hair. Good luck.

L'OREAL ELVIVE for men body building thickening shampoo, been using it over 5 years now, works for me, not had any hair loss since, so SWMBO reckons:wink2:

You can look into taking some very well-balanced vitamin supplements. Three known to help are Biotin, Choline-Inositol, and Tryptophan.

What nutritional supplements are available for hair loss prevention?

Good nutrition can go a long way in helping you keep your halo of hair. In fact, in Asian countries where vegetables are primary in the diet, pattern baldness is rarely seen. B vitamins in particular are crucial to healthy sebum production and new cell generation. Some minerals work synergistically with others to boost antioxidant activity and help block "bad" enzymes. Therefore, a balanced, varied diet of fresh, whole foods is important.

Remember that hair loss can mean more than the fading of beauty and youth; it can also be a signal of a serious disease. Consult your healthcare practitioner at the first signs of thinning hair to discuss the best course of treatment for you. So you can restore, or keep, your "crowning glory."

Here's a sample of some of the best supplements to promote healthy hair:

L-lysine - L-lysine is an amino acid with a patent pending for hair growth. Rich sources include chicken, turkey, fish, legumes and most vegetables. In supplement form, up to 500 mg daily is believed to be safe, although it is not suitable for children or pregnant or nursing women.

L-arginine - L-arginine is another amino acid that may stimulate hair growth by increasing absorption of nitric acid. Suggested dose is 1.5 g per day.

Saw palmetto - Saw palmetto is an herb that may reduce/slow hair loss. Recommended dosage is 320 mg/day.

Grape seed extract - Grape seed extract contains proanthocyanidins that stimulate growth in hair epithelial cells. Suggested dosage is 150 to 300 mg per day.

Green tea extract - Green tea extract has antioxidants (catechins) that may hold back hair loss. Suggested dosage is 30 to 300 mg daily.

Gamma linolenic acid - Gamma linolenic acid (GLA) -- a good fat -- also helps hold back the "Great Recession." Borage oil is one of the best sources. Suggested dosage is 100 to 500 mg daily.

Soy isoflavones - Soy isoflavones are antioxidant phytoestrogens in soy reduce hair loss. These can be found in soy foods such as tofu, tempeh, miso and soy milk. Suggested serving "dosage" is 25 g of soy protein per day.

Stinging nettle root extract - Stinging nettle root extract is used for benign prostate hyperplasia, but also thought to help hair. Try taking 120 mg twice a day.

Vitamins and coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10)
Several different factors can add up to hair loss. Some, like heredity or genetics, are impossible to change, but others like stress, poor diet and vitamin deficiencies, can be easily altered. First and foremost, healthy hair is dependent upon good blood circulation. Vitamins C and E and coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) can help improve scalp circulation (as will a daily scalp massage). You can find vitamin C in Brussels sprouts, cranberries, mango, broccoli and tomatoes. Wheat germ and egg yolks are both rich in vitamin E and CoQ10.

B vitamins play a crucial role in the health and growth of hair. One place to get them is from blackstrap molasses. Blackstrap is the most unrefined of all molasses and, besides having a high concentration of B vitamins, is also high in calcium, iron, potassium, and vitamin E. Obvious uses are in cookies and breads, but also try mixing some blackstrap molasses into barbecue sauce or baked beans.

Deficiencies in biotin have been linked to hair loss, and essential fatty acids can improve hair texture and prevent dry, brittle hair. You can get biotin from liver, sardines, soy, whole grains, nuts and beans. Good fats, essential fatty acids (EFAs), are also important for your "mane event." They can be found in cold-pressed olive oil, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds and marine oils.

Rosemary, taken both internally and externally, can be an effective herb against hair loss. Add some fresh rosemary to your pasta sauce or favorite soup, or brew a cup of rosemary tea. To use externally, mix up a batch of homemade rosemary hair treatment: combine about 20 drops of rosemary essential oil with a few ounces of almond oil. Massage into the scalp and wrap your hair with a towel. Let it sit for 15 to 30 minutes, and then rinse with a gentle shampoo.

That's just some of the information that's available on the net. If stress is a part of your life, you can usually find good Anti-stress Vitamins that are high in B vitamins. If you are a coffee drinker, you'll need to replace the vitamins that are lost because of coffee consumption. If you wear hats all of the time, that's not healthy for your hair and scalp, either. For many men, particularly those with a combination of fine hair and oily scalp, you'll want to use more of a deep cleansing shampoo to keep the hair follicles from getting clogged.

Rogaine, and products like it, will tend to not produce "normal" hair that grows to a mature length. The hair that is produced is usually more fine in texture, and is called "lanugo" hair... similar to the hair that grows on the back of your neck. So, you will get some "cover" from this type of hair. However, once you discontinue use of Rogaine, the new hair growth will stop, too.

Bottom-line, consult a nutritionist or someone who is very knowledgeable about vitamin supplements. Your B vitamins, in particular, must be balanced. In other words, I wouldn't recommend randomly choosing every single vitamin which promotes hair growth. You absolutely need guidance with this.

I hope that this information is helpful to you.

chop-chop

You can actually have your hair analyzed to tell you what you may be

Just an FYI, Rogain doesn't work for that type of balding. It's only for the type that thins hair on the back of your head. I thought the same thing but upon closer investigation I found it won't work.

But chop-chop has some excellent suggestions to look into. I know I will.

p.s. if you do, stop wearing hats all the time and let your head breath.

My brother, who has pretty much the same situation as you, has had good luck with Nioxin products. I don't have any personal experience myself, being the lone mutant guy on my mom's side of the family who still has no signs of thinning at 25.

or just shave your head. think about it, 2X the products, 10X the fun.

Remember, bald is a choice, balding is not.

+1

I solved the balding with a set of remington electric clippers with a built in vacuum. I don't go all the way to shaved, but the clippers without a guard gets it close enough.

The Nioxin products get my vote. I would urge you to give them a try. I would also take a look at what styling products you are using. They can make things alot worse than they need to be. Stay away from products made with petrolatum, wax's , etc. I recommend American Crew products as they perform very well and wash out clean keeping follicles from clogging.

Top Bottom