What's new

Newbie needing help

Hey fellas!
I am a 24 year old that has been stressed about shaving since I was 15. It is not uncommon for me to have a neck FULL of pesky ingrown hairs and unsightly red bumps. Two weeks ago, my dad suggested I try an electric, since he had so much luck. Oh my. What murder that thing caused my skin. I gave my skin a week off to research what to do next. I found out about DE razors and ordered a Merkur Barbers Pole. I got nicer shaving cream (Zirh Shave Cream and Taylor of Old Bond Avocado). I got a shave brush and a block of alum. My first two shaves with the DE have been HEAVENLY. My ingrown hairs are already decreasing and I have no irritation, save a few tiny nicks from poor technique.
The thing I have a question about is the shave brush. I plan to go find a shave bowl tomorrow, probably at Bed, Bath and Beyond or something. Based on how great my past two shaves have been, I can only imagine how much greater they will be with the addition of the shave brush.
My question is how do I use the shave brush. How do I soak it, how and when do I add water to the lather, etc. Any advice on this would be awesome. Also, any other advice you have would be well recieved, as well.

My question is how do I use the shave brush. How do I soak it, how and when do I add water to the lather, etc. Any advice on this would be awesome. Also, any other advice you have would be well recieved, as well.

Welcome to B&B - glad to hear all is going well.

There are some excellent threads out there - as a starting point take a look through heirkb's accurately titled [post=1555784]Comprehensive Guide to Lathering Soaps, Creams, Shavesticks on the face and in a bowl[/post]

Enjoy...

Welcome to badger and blade. I am glad you find your way here. Many of us have had similar situation to you. I would recommend watching mantic's videos in addition to reading the shave guide. Mark is a good guy and gives a great tutorial about DE shaving. Second, get a good starting razor. You don't want a razor that's too aggressive. Third get a badger brush preferably something better than pure badger and a good glycerine based soap or cream.
Remember when you start your shave may not be very good. With time you will get better. Just have patience. Most of all try to enjoy it.

Welcome to B&B - glad to hear all is going well.

There are some excellent threads out there - as a starting point take a look through heirkb's accurately titled [post=1555784]Comprehensive Guide to Lathering Soaps, Creams, Shavesticks on the face and in a bowl[/post]

Enjoy...

Great advice above, so I'll just say ... Welcome to B&B!!

Those that have already posted have steered you in the right direction so I'll just say welcome to to B&B.

proxy.php

I always recommend Mantic59's videos, here.

John

Top Bottom