What's new

Is the first shave with a new blade the worst, or the best?

I used 2 new blades so far, and with these two occasions, the first shave for me was absolutely the worst. Things get better on subsequent shaves.

I am just imagining things? Shouldn't the first first shave with a new blade be the best?

Btw, the two blades I used are Merkur.

Last edited:
I depends ... sometimes the blades have small defects that are removed when you're using them and they then feel smoother after the first shave.

I used 2 new blades so far, and with these two occasions, the first shave for me was absolutely the worst. Things get better on subsequent shaves.

I am just imagining things? Shouldn't the first first shave with a new blade be the best?

Try a different brand of blade. What are the blades that you are using now?

Btw, the two blades I used are Merkur.

I have the same experience as you do across 5 different blade brands. I started out with Merkurs, then some Astras, Derbys, Feathers and Super Iridiums. My second shave with any of those were always better. Now the first shave with the Feathers, Astras and Iridiums are/were the nicest. I hated the first shave with the Merkurs. Derbys were hit or miss on the first shave, but always nice on the second. For me, Feathers have been the most consistent from shave to shave.

I change blades every Friday. so I get 3 to 5 shaves in on a blade per week.

If you find that the second shave is better than the first, you may want to try "corking" the blade. Just do a search here on the forums. There are lots of posts on the subject.

I use Merkur blades.

So micro-imperfections on the blade, is the reason why the first shave is the worst with these? weird. So my skin is being used as a sand paper basically on that first shave. Ouch!

I use Merkur blades.

So micro-imperfections on the blade, is the reason why the first shave is the worst with these? weird. So my skin is being used as a sand paper basically on that first shave. Ouch!

+1 on the corking, that would probably help on the first shave.

...I second the critique of the Merkurs.. the first shave is always the worst, 'corking' it will help, but there are much better blades out there that won't rip the face up.. try an astra, israeli red, or a feather and reeeeaaaallllyyy enjoy a nice first shave!

Depends on the blade.I recently tried a Gillette Swede for the 1st time. The 1st shave,I couldn't even feel a blade. I looked again to see that I had put it in. 2nd shave with same razor good but not as smooth. Some other blades are better after the 1st. Go figure?

I've noticed the first shave being the worst a couple of times, with Derby I believe, and maybe other brands, though I haven't really kept records.

Never tried corking, but I have tried hand stropping before the first use. Haven't had a rough first shave since, but I haven't tested it rigorously enough to be sure that it's the stropping that makes the difference.

what is corking?

You can search the forums for a more detailed description, but corking is when you lightly drag the blade across a piece of cork. It is supposed to remove the fine metal filings left after the manufacturing process.

I've also read in these forums where some people use a piece of styrofoam to accomplish the same goal. I've never personally tried it, so I can't give you an opinion on it.

Never tried corking, but I have tried hand stropping before the first use. Haven't had a rough first shave since, but I haven't tested it rigorously enough to be sure that it's the stropping that makes the difference.
Same here. I still use Merkur blades in my Merkur HD, but prefer Reds or Derbys in my other DE's.

I don't care what blade you use, a good technique can compensate for just about any blade or razor. Light touch, good lather, good balance on the razor, good shave. Just keep trying different combinations until you reach Nirvana.

If you find that the second shave is better than the first, you may want to try "corking" the blade. Just do a search here on the forums. There are lots of posts on the subject.

+1 on the corking suggestion -- actually +1 on the suggestion to read up on the threads that discuss corking. I've found that I learned more about blade characteristics and the feel of a blade after the second and third shave, that I did the actual practice of corking, when I read those threads. It was a very informative read.

That said, I'm neither a proponent, nor a naysayer on the practice of corking. :001_unsur

Jimmy.

Top Bottom