What's new

Alice in Wonderland

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Just came back from the movies with my wife. We saw the new movie "Alice in Wonderland" with Johnny Depp. What a great time we had, we both liked it a lot. Guess, now I have to read the books.... We went to the 12 Noon show, and were the only ones in the theatre.

Got terrible reviews on some sites although I'm sure I'll still end up seeing it eventually. The wife is creeped out by it too though.

FWIW, Alice in Wonderland didn't need any help from Tim Burton to be creepy.

And neither did its writer, Charles Lutwidge Dodgson aka Lewis Carrol. Lots of reports of his unhealthy interest in photographing young girls with no clothes on!

He used to meet Alice Liddle a couple of miles from my house in Cheltenham, apparently.

Gareth

My six-year old daughter is dying to see it.... but her 18-year old babysitter panned it.

*sigh* what to do.. Oh yeah! Let Mom take her :wink2:

My girls' are both in their schools' Spring production of "Alice in Wonderland" - my oldest is one of the Cheshire Cats. They were quite interested in seeing the new movie. I'm usually the guy who wants to wait for the DVD (because I'm a tightwad). I surprised the family by taking them.

I also think Mr. Burton snorts from the same can as Mr. Carroll.

Dark in places? Yes. Inappropriate for younger viewers? Probably.

That said, the family and I enjoyed it immensely.

Last edited:
For the record, I'm not much of a movie watcher, especially when it comes to new releases that are in the movie theaters.

I saw this one, though, and can say this: Johnnie Depp is epic, as per the usual. The rest? Meh -- not so much.

If you're a Depp fan, as am I, this movie is a good watch. His character is virtually flawless, unsurprisingly.

The movie is probably not for younger audiences. As in the vein of the original, some of the themes are reserved for the mature and/or intellectual at heart.

Worth the money, and that's more than I can say for the other **** that's come out of Hollyweird within the past year or so.

Would you let your YOUNG offspring/niece/nephew watch the first incarnation? If not, this most recent film isn't fit for them, either.

I watched this on Friday night (3d version).

Great, escapist stuff. Anyone who like Burton will enjoy this flim.

A surprising number of British voices too (?)

Top Bottom