What's new

Just bought a Straight

I just bought an AOS Dovo Straight. They say it comes shave ready but after stropping it and using pre-shave oil and shave cream with brush the blade barely cuts the hair. Any suggestions on how to proceed. Do I need to hone it?

Thanks

Sounds like you have done what I did yesterday with my first straight and dulled the blade due to poor stropping technique.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
If the blade is specifically noted as 'Shave-Ready' and you can confirm that a honemeister honed it, then, it takes time. I don't think I shave anything until shave #5.

Where did you buy it?

If you are too unsure, send it to a honemeister to have it honed!

To my knowledge, if you bought it directly from an AOS store, then it is definitely NOT shave ready. The AOS salespeople (most of whom know very little about SR shaving) are telling you it is "shave ready" because that's what they've heard from the factory, which always tells its customers that every razor they deliver is "shave ready." BUT THEY ARE NOT. There is simply no factory made straight razor that comes honed and shave ready from the factory. Send your razor to a honemeister, let him hone it for $20, and then use it. You will see there is a world of difference. That's why beginners are always encouraged to start out with a truly shave ready razor, so you can learn your technique with a razor that is already in working condition. A factory edge blade does not meet this test.

I just bought an AOS Dovo Straight. They say it comes shave ready but after stropping it and using pre-shave oil and shave cream with brush the blade barely cuts the hair. Any suggestions on how to proceed. Do I need to hone it?

Thanks

Slim chance that it is shave ready. Do you know how to hone a straight? If not, you can save yourself a lot of frustration by sending it to someone who does.

I had been been over in England for a few months prior and hesitated on a truly great DOVO at Geo F Trumper. When I came back I thought I'd get the AOS Straight mainly because I have always wanted a Theirs Issard. Time to get it honed then. Thanks for the tips and help I really appreciate it.

Top Bottom