What's new

a mtm black suit for $150

i recently ordered two mtm suits, a charcoal grey three-piece and a dinner jacket. unfortunately the tailor made an error and produced both suits in black. they are of course remedying the situation and making a replacement suit in the correct color at no cost. they are also offering me a choice with the incorrect suit. i can post it back to them at their expense, or i can purchase it for a fifth of the actual cost, or something inline with a jc penny's suit (no disrespect to penny's)

it's a hell of a deal, but i typically only wear suits 4 or 5 times a year for business and another half dozen or so for evenings out. being a black suit its purpose really overlaps with the dinner jacket as well. a bargain that sits in my closet isn't really much of a bargain.

what would you do?

Last edited:
If you're not going to wear it, then the easiest think to do is get your money back.

But then again, I hate selling things on ebay.

If you're not going to wear it, then the easiest think to do is get your money back.

But then again, I hate selling things on ebay.

They are already giving him the correct suit, so his money back isn't an option.

But he is getting the chance at buying it for basically cost (so they don't have to eat the cost of the extra)... $150 is a steal.... I would take it, personally, but then again, I pretty much wear suits daily!

Maybe keep it as a back up ? Hell, you are already laying out $750, so another $150 isn't that much more!

And maybe you should start dressing up more often?? :biggrin1:

if it fits right and you got the extra money then buy the suit unlees it some ugly color that you wouldnt let a clown wear out. never know when you might need it.

They are already giving him the correct suit, so his money back isn't an option.

But he is getting the chance at buying it for basically cost (so they don't have to eat the cost of the extra)... $150 is a steal.... I would take it, personally, but then again, I pretty much wear suits daily!

Maybe keep it as a back up ? Hell, you are already laying out $750, so another $150 isn't that much more!

And maybe you should start dressing up more often?? :biggrin1:

Ahhh. I missed that detail. Pay the $150 and keep it as a spare.

I walked out in the garage once and ripped the pants to one of my best suits.

Left a scrap piece of wood with a nail sticking out - would have loved a back up pair of pants.

Never know when you might need it.

I figure no one needs two black suits, so I'd send it back. Ebay might work out for you if you decide to buy it at the bargain price, but that would depend on the size you usually wear off-the-rack. If the suit is a fairly common size, cool. But if you're a former professional basketball player, there might be a fairly small audience for a suit that measures at 44 XXXXL ...

a) Do you expect to change size drastically within the next year or two?

b) Is the fabric conspicuously formal?

c) Will $150 make a big difference in your budget, one way or another?

If the answer is no, I'd take the suit and wear the pieces separately. Good fit covers a multitude of sins, and a mixed dress/casual look works surprisingly well if you're comfortable with the pieces. (Also gets good reactions from ladies.)

Of course, it all depends on your aesthetic, fit, etc. For the (popular) jeans/dress jacket look, the jeans don't have to be tight, but straight leg or boot cut helps, and if you don't like 'em, you don't like 'em. (Me, I'm a black corduroy 'where-are-your-legs' kind of guy, but that's mostly 'cause I'm funny-shaped. And like corduroy).

If it's a classic design (and, since you said "three piece", I assume it is classic), buy it, put it in a suit bag in the back of your closet, and enjoy it whenever the opportunity to wear a black suit presents itself.

My personal experience is that, as one becomes older, the opportunities to wear a black suit become depressingly more frequent! :sad:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I thought this thread was going to be "were can I get a MTM suit for $150??" ... and I was going to post "ha ha ha you are dreaming in technicolour" but no such luck.

For 150.00 just having a spare pair of mtm pants would be worth it.
I was going to make the exact same point. (In the old days, it was common to buy suits with an extra pair of pants, since pants usually wear out first; nowadays you can't find that unless you get the suit made for you to order ... bespoke or MTM).
You can never have too many suits.

My wife disagrees with you on that point. :crying:

Top Bottom