What's new

difference between potassium/ammonium alum?

I was suggested to use alum as an astringent/to stop bleeding of nicks from shaving.

I first looked at the shaving shops, and the things were 32 dollars. Wow.

I looked at my local health store, and saw them as deodorant crystals.. I could only find one with ammonium alum and not potassium alum that is on most shaving ones (but not all).

Is there a difference between the too?
Also, will using something containing aluminium increase my risk of alzheimers? Or is it because it is in it's compound form it won't have the same properties?

Ammonium alum stings more than potassium alum. Other than that, they would work the same.

Yes, alum will contribute to the accumulation of aluminum in your system. However it's a lot less than what you would get from pickles, canned cherries, some breads, some prescription drugs, etc. Especially since you rinse it off and don't leave it sitting on the skin. Most aluminum is absorbed into the body through the stomach and lungs and very little through the skin anyway. That being said, I use witch hazel 95% of the time and my alum bar only when I've had a rough shave.

- Peter

Yeah, the potash alum is what you want. You can go to a health food store and get a Tai deodorant stone. Its the same thing, costs less, and will work the same.

If you are still worried about the aluminum collecting in you, at the same health food store, pick up a supplement called Malic Acid. Its a supplement that will help to remove the aluminum from your body through the process of chelation.

The bottom line is the ammonia type is designed as a deodorant and is way too strong for your face. Check out Tolumba.com. They have it and its cheap.

Ok so there is no differences in aluminium levels between the two, just the strength? I didn't mind the tingle on my face of the ammonium. I will use it until I get a potash or order some witch hazel

Top Bottom