What's new

Need a New Scotch

Lately, I've been itching to buy a new Scotch. I have about a dozen bottles, most of them Islays and the rest Islands with the exception of a MaCallan CS and Glenlivet 12. I'm really open to any single malt, but I have enough Islay's to last me a long time, so I'd rather have something else. I'm not feeling very creative at the moment, so I'm turning to my firends at B&B for some help with my decision, so what do you guys think I should get?

Right now, the ones that keep popping up in my head is Balvenie 15 Single Barrel and Glenlivet 15 French Oak. But what else should be in the running?

I usually buy these
Ardbeg 10
Bruichladdich 10
Macallan CS
Springbank 10
Talisker 10
Laphroaig 10 30$ a bottle is almost unbeatable
Lagavulin 16
Glenmorangie Scotch Sherry Wood
Glenmorangie Scotch 10 Year

I heard good things about Laphroaig CS never tried though.
Macallan CS is great. :001_tt2:

I guess I'll post what I already have to make this a little easier.

Laphroaig 10
Laphroaig 15
Laphroaig Cask Strength
Ardbeg Uigaedail
Lagavulin 16 - Port Ellen
Highland Park 12
Talisker 10
Talisker 18
MaCallan CS
Glenlivet 12
Glengoyne 10

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Nice cache Tim. I noticed someone mentioned a Springbank 10. I tried this at a scotch tasting about 2-3 weeks ago and it is excellent. Also give Glen Keith 10 a shot (or a dram :wink: )

I'd vote for Isle of Jura if you can get it in the states. It has less of the iodine/Peat flavour of the other Island malts.
Or you could try Irish, bushmills is good stuff or even the bog standard Powers.

Tim, I'm with you on the Islays, good stuff. Try some Spey,

Macallan 15 yo Fine Oak
Aberlour 15 yo
Cragganmore 12 yo
Glenfarclas 17 yo

I'm partial to the Islay (pronounced "EYE - la" ) Scotches, and thrive on the peat and the kelp in Legavulin. (Great with a really well-aged Reggiano, by the way.)

On my bedside table, I keep a copy of Michael Jackson's Complete Guide to Single Malt Scotch: The Connoisseur's Guide to the Single Malt Whiskies of Scotland and leaf through it regularly. 800 single malts are fully covered in this book. BTW, every blend is a blend of single malts (and other stuff as well,) and this book tells you what the components of various blends are. e.g., a particular distillery produces a malt that goes into Chivas Regal, etc. Every so often I come across something that sort of tickles me, and I'm sure it won't be in the book, but sure enough, there it is. The book is an invaluable resource, because it helps clear up the fog. You may or may not like a particular single malt, but the book will give you a pretty good idea of what's in the bottle.
Another excellent resource is the Scotch Malt Whisky Society of America. check out their web site. It's a bit pricey, but they look for single malts that the commercial distillers don't offer, and aren't available to the general public. I've tried a few of their scotches and it hasn't brought me to the point where I say I've got to have it. The fact that a particular malt is hard to come by doesn't mean that you'll like. In the case of single malt's, as in so many areas, YMMV is an absolute fact. Here's the deal: for $200, they'll let you join, (and send you a bottle of a very rare single malt, never to be offered again, )and charge you $35 annual for a renewal. Then, they send you a list of what they've been able to pick up by circulating around Scotland, and you can order from the list. For example, if you like a good Highland malt, there's this one: ‘Peaches and Apricot Jam’ This is a highly regarded Highland distillery near the Black Isle. An old bottle has recently broken auction records. This, more reasonably priced sample, is bright apricot in colour with a heady, fruity nose; peaches and apricot jam with a toasted, biscuity note at the back. The taste is minty(humbugs). Water brings out the classic oiliness associated with this distillery but it lightens quickly leaving a light, grassy dram with hints of toffee bon-bons. Overall, it is lighter than its age would suggest but enjoyed by the Panel. 21 years 52.2% Cask # 13.37 price $140
By the way, that's the average price for one of their single malts. If you can afford it, go for it.:thumbup:

On my bedside table, I keep a copy of Michael Jackson's Complete Guide to Single Malt Scotch: The Connoisseur's Guide to the Single Malt Whiskies of Scotland and leaf through it regularly. 800 single malts are fully covered in this book.

I Have that book as well and I love it. :001_smile

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Tim, I'm with you on the Islays, good stuff. Try some Spey,

Macallan 15 yo Fine Oak
Aberlour 15 yo
Cragganmore 12 yo
Glenfarclas 17 yo

ditto. I'm a big 'west coast island' fan too, but I really like Cragganmore for a change-up, or The Macallan. Haven't tried the others.

Lagavulin and Talisker are my favorites
Glenlivet 18, tastes much better than younger vintages
Oban
Bowmore, very smooth and not expensive

All of the Macallans 10,15,20,25 and 50 year old, they are matured in old oak sherry casks and have a slight sweetness in the background, also the Macallan distillery have a wonderful visitor centre at Craigellachie where it is made.

Graham, I vote with you for Macallens. Any of them from 20 on up are pure indulgence. Add a fine cigar and they may as well cart you off because it's not going to get any better.

Any of the Macallans of the classic/original/oloroso variety as opposed to "Fine Oak"

The 12yo is great value (In continental Europe at least)

The 1963 was the first 18yo Macallan that I owned (back in 1983) and has always been the benchmark for me

Glenfarclas 12

Balvenie Double Wood

Glenlivet 15yo French Oak rather than the 18yo (I have both)

Bushmills Malt

Glenmorangie Burgundy Wood Finish - A step up from the "normal" versions

Clynelish - An often overlooked Northern malt

Also from Orkney - Scapa

:drool:

Excellent thread guys, I go up to Scotland half a dozen times a year and always try to visit at least one distillery every time. A friend has a house in Aberlour, last time we had a personal tour - heaven! They have a special cask which they will bottle for you and handwrite the label for £70, worth it though. All speysides for me. I picked up a very interesting one recently from Crathes (Deeside-where the royal family go to church on Christmas Day) The Lochnagar Distillery - it has the most awesome and expensive selection of malts in their visitor centre I have ever seen, highly recommended.

Paul.

Top Bottom