What's new

A brush in Iraq

During some footage from a news report on the U.S. soldiers in Iraq, I noticed one of the troops using a shaving brush. It looked like a green handled Marvy. But he wasn't shaving with it, he was using it too clean his rifle!

And come to think of it, that soldier did look well shaved.

Clean weapons are more important than clean shaves.

How long until somebody comes along and suggests that this guy is courting a stoppage by scrimping, and suggesting that a better quality badger brush will make his rifle shoot straighter? :001_rolle

On the recent Frontline profile of the current state of Afghanistan, there was footage of a soldier shaving very quickly -- rapid WTG strokes-- with what looked like water and a Mach 3 or Schick disposable.

I guess if you find time to shave, you've gotta do it as fast as possible.

And then there's the Godrej commercial with the soldier using his combat knife as a straight-razor and overturned helmet as a water basin....! :117:

I can go one better, I saw a soldier in Iraq shaving in a shower whilst wearing his rifle! I advised him that it would require a total total strip down back to base level as water inside the trigger mech housing will rust the working quicker than you can towel off! Lucky for him I'm a weapons guy!

Any bets he got that Marvy in a care package from a member of B&B and didn't know what it was??? :eek::eek:

Clean weapons are more important than clean shaves.

Unless of course you are in a potentially chemical environment, then a BBS shave might actually prove even more valuable than the weapon.

I can go one better, I saw a soldier in Iraq shaving in a shower whilst wearing his rifle! I advised him that it would require a total total strip down back to base level as water inside the trigger mech housing will rust the working quicker than you can towel off! Lucky for him I'm a weapons guy!

Hot soapy water is a great way to clean a gun. However, as you mentioned the follow up to prevent rust can entail a great deal of work.

Unless of course you are in a potentially chemical environment, then a BBS shave might actually prove even more valuable than the weapon.

I wonder if there has ever been any recorded instances of mask failure due to a poor shave. Not a beard, just a bad shave...

Hot soapy water is a great way to clean a gun. However, as you mentioned the follow up to prevent rust can entail a great deal of work.

proxy.php

"This is my rifle, this is my gun..."

Oh, nevermind....

I wonder if there has ever been any recorded instances of mask failure due to a poor shave. Not a beard, just a bad shave...

I highly doubt it to be honest. I've participated in field exercises where I didn't shave for a couple of days and I was still able to get a seal on my mask. I'd guess a few days or more and then it might be an issue, but a little stubble probably wouldn't prevent a seal.

I highly doubt it to be honest. I've participated in field exercises where I didn't shave for a couple of days and I was still able to get a seal on my mask. I'd guess a few days or more and then it might be an issue, but a little stubble probably wouldn't prevent a seal.

Ha, the last time I wore my mask for real it was duck taped to the side of my head so in short a little stubble wouldnt make that much difference! :wink2: Oh and all my joints were ducked up too :wink2:

That would have been the best movie ever if the second half was half as good as the first half...

Figure that one out :lol1:

Okay I would agree except each time I see it I can't not notice the road junctions are laid out the exact opposite of how they are in the USA :sneaky2: Have a look next time you watch it sorry guys!

Okay I would agree except each time I see it I can't not notice the road junctions are laid out the exact opposite of how they are in the USA :sneaky2: Have a look next time you watch it sorry guys!

Yep, rumour has it that it was filmed at a camp called "Bassingbourn" in the UK! It is def the UK Road markings though :biggrin1:

Yep, rumour has it that it was filmed at a camp called "Bassingbourn" in the UK! It is def the UK Road markings though :biggrin1:

I can neither confirm or deny that statement! :001_unsur But I bet the kids training at Bassingbourn today would love to know that's where it was filmed! The cityscapes were shot on the Isle of dogs for sure.

proxy.php

Prior to his entrance into the military in World War I, Adolf Hitler sported a handlebar moustache, as did many men of that time period. He was ordered to trim it to the familiar "toothbrush" style, in order to accomodate a gas mask.

proxy.php

Prior to his entrance into the military in World War I, Adolf Hitler sported a handlebar moustache, as did many men of that time period. He was ordered to trim it to the familiar "toothbrush" style, in order to accomodate a gas mask.

This is why the majority of US military men who wear mustaches look terrible. With the exception of the Navy (at times) everyone else has to trim their 'stache so it doesn't extend past the corners of the mouth.

proxy.php

Prior to his entrance into the military in World War I
, Adolf Hitler sported a handlebar moustache, as did many men of that time period. He was ordered to trim it to the familiar "toothbrush" style, in order to accomodate a gas mask.
So those were his everyday home clothes seen in the picture?

Top Bottom