What's new

Pipe Bark qualities

I'm looking into buying a new pipe and can't help to wonder what the difference really is between a 3 star and 1 star ferndown pipe?

I'm not familiar with Ferndown pipes, but with many makers it's the grain. The straighter and more pure the grain is, the more expensive it is (with vertical grain being the ideal).

Ok Well the differences in the star rating is the size not the quality.1 star being smaller than the 2 and 3 star. I would like to also point out somethign kinda strange. It is on the size of the briar before he starts making the pipe not after the pipe is finished. I have heard from Les that sometimes the 2 stars are larger than the 3 stars when the pipes are finished, but not verry often. One can mostly be assured that when he/she purchases a 3 star it will be the largest of the pipes he makes.
As far as quality, they are all the same quality of craftsmanship but the lighter the stain the beter the grain and the more perfect the briar is.

Edit: A great place to purchase ferndown pipes is www.pipes2smoke.com. He just recieved a shipment of ferndowns but they are not on his site as of yet. He should have them listed by monday. He is by far the least expensive i have seen on ferndowns and Maxim is great to deal with. He also has a layaway plane to choose from.

Thanks for the info. I'm in the process of making the switch from cigars to smoking a pipe. I'm a tired of how smoking a cigar can be such a long drawn out event and like the fact of controlling how much tobacco one can smoke at any one time.

Ferndowns are great pipes and I love mine. I am purchasing another from Maxim and can't wait for it. It is defently one of the best pipes I have smoked and have a hard time deciding if my Ashton is better.

Top Bottom