What's new

Puerh

Hehe... Yeah, I had to mistreat him and give him the 07 Menghai 8582 sample instead of the 08 that I had run out of in the sample box.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Hard to go wrong with any of those. Anyone have a five-sided coin you can lend him?

Hard to go wrong with any of those. Anyone have a five-sided coin you can lend him?

proxy.php

But I don't know how to flip it.

Well, I tried the V93 and all I can say is that it is very different. Definatly has the fishy/pond smell; however, I don't find it overly offensive. Further, it doesn't taste that way. I don't know how I would describe the flavor yet, I'll have to try a few more cups. I'm certain it will grow on me, but I'm a bit unsure at this moment.

Well, I tried the V93 and all I can say is that it is very different. Definatly has the fishy/pond smell; however, I don't find it overly offensive. Further, it doesn't taste that way. I don't know how I would describe the flavor yet, I'll have to try a few more cups. I'm certain it will grow on me, but I'm a bit unsure at this moment.

Should've gone with an 8582 :lol:

Well, I tried the V93 and all I can say is that it is very different. Definatly has the fishy/pond smell; however, I don't find it overly offensive.

For ripe tea that is young, let it air out over night to remove the swamp flavor.
It one night doesn't do it, do it for another.

I had another glass from last night's batch, and I noticed it didn't taste as strong. I'll pull it out of the wrapper and let it set overnight to see if that helps. I'll also pull out the the 8582 and give that a try tomorrow morning. All in all it wasn't bad, just a different aroma and flavor than I would expect with a tea. Especially since I had just finished a cup of da hong pao right before!

I had another glass from last night's batch, and I noticed it didn't taste as strong. I'll pull it out of the wrapper and let it set overnight to see if that helps. I'll also pull out the the 8582 and give that a try tomorrow morning. All in all it wasn't bad, just a different aroma and flavor than I would expect with a tea. Especially since I had just finished a cup of da hong pao right before!

wu yi oolong to shu :scared:

Just wait till you try some sheng pu, watch water temp and infusion times. A younger tea in a gaiwan takes skill to brew it just right or else youre left with a mouth full of bitter tea. Its fun learning to gong fu cha.

Since a V93 is only a 100g of tea, some people break it apart into chunks and leave it in a small paper bag to get some air circulation and mitigate the potential for a somewhat fishy smell. This smell does go away in later infusions but is offputting to some at first. FYI, the smell (called "wo dui") is a result of the fermentation process and is typical of young ripe teas. Sometimes, people that are particularly sensitive to it will do a couple of two minute rinses of their young ripe pu-erh before drinking any of it. This still leaves plenty of infusions to drink. This smell is also typically not apparent in more aged ripe pu-erh. For example, the 2007 Menghai 7572 has no detectable smell IMHO.

Be careful with the 8582. It is a very nice tea but is much more sensitive to the infusion time than a ripe tea like the V93.

I've been keeping the step times pretty short, maybe too short; but, I can always go longer. I have not had the V93 again, I tried the 8582 this morning, and that was pretty good. Reminded me more of a green tea, in the sense that it has sort of a "vegatal" taste to it. I'll give the V93 a whirl again tomorrow morning before work.

Top Bottom