Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matches or Lighter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Matches or Lighter

For those cigar and pipe smokers on here:

Do you use matches or a lighter? Anything special you use? I'm a fan of plain old wooden matches. Not, the strike anywhere kind kitchen wooden matches. I have a very old Zippo brass pipe lighter and a couple of modern blow torch lighters. You can comment on any other "special" equipment you use for your habit such as a favorite cutter or tamper.
    -Rich
    qhsdoitall (Quarter Horses do it all)

[URL="http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1628"]GOTO[/URL]: Merkur 34C HD Classic Chrome Double Edged Razor, Feather Razor Blade, Custom Shavemac 23mm Silver Tip Badger Shaving Brush, any Crabtree & Evelyn Shave Cream.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Zippo for pipe, butane blowtorch lighter for cigars.

I don't like the sulfur taste of matches and if you wait until the initial sulfur burn is over, the match usually gets blown out. That and cigars should be initially lit without sucking them, so it takes longer to get them started. The blowtorch speeds things along.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Butane torch for cigars and usually pipes. I sometimes break out my Beattie Jet lighter for pipes. A really cool self-generating naptha lighter.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For pipes, I use a particular disposable lighter called the Side Light in which the flame comes out perpendicular to the body of the lighter. I did have a Colibri pipe lighter, but I consistently had trouble with it, so it went to ebay. I tend to avoid the butane lighters as there is greater chance of scorching the rim. For cigars, I just use whatever is handy.
    --Matt--

[COLOR="DarkRed"]If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]-Paul W. Bryant[/COLOR]

I don't have a pipe, but for my cigars I wouldn't be without my Colibris.
    Life's too short to drink cheap beer.

Brian

Images
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Well for my pipe I use a corona old boy and for my cigars i use a colibri trifecta.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For my cigarettes and cigars a Dunhill Rollagas and for my pipe another Dunhill Rollagas with a horizontal flame jet installed

Corona Old Boy for both pipes and cigars, one in the house and the other in the car. I have a blow torch for cigars, but I think the Old Boys work better.
    Steve

Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

single flame torch type lighter for cigars
    -- Richard, Czar of Cheddar

Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I used to use a torch lighter for my cigars...but since i have this one, i don't use anything else anymore, not even for my double corona's:

Peter
    Peter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The wooden matches I use are quite good. Allows me plenty of time to light and the sulphur burns off quick. The Zippo brass pipe lighter works great too. The torches are for cigars. I like the control a match gives me and not singe a rim. I have a torch lighter that switches between normal and blow torch. It was great when TSA was allowing regular lighters through. They ask you to light it. If normal, OK. If blow torch, they confiscated it. Now, forget it. I just leave them home. I see Colibri has an approved butane lighter carrier for checked baggage that meets everyone's standards.
    -Rich
    qhsdoitall (Quarter Horses do it all)

[URL="http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1628"]GOTO[/URL]: Merkur 34C HD Classic Chrome Double Edged Razor, Feather Razor Blade, Custom Shavemac 23mm Silver Tip Badger Shaving Brush, any Crabtree & Evelyn Shave Cream.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default lighting up

Matches for a pipe. If as commented the match blows out iin the wind you shouldn't be smoking a pipe as you will probably set light to your shirt or beard from flying embers. This is great for causing a tumult amongst passers-by but plays havoc with the laundry bill and the memsahib tuts frightfully at beards that have had bushfires lit in them. Don't use cigars personally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rhett121 View Post
    That and cigars should be initially lit without sucking them, so it takes longer to get them started.
    Hmmm... this I did not know....

Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I generally use a torch type lighter for lighting cigars away from home. But it's kind of hard to beat an Ohio Blue Tip. Bought a couple of the 'stinky' ashtrays for use on the patio. Hard to beat these for the cigar smoker.

-- John Gehman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tinzien View Post
    Hmmm... this I did not know....
    I've always been under the impression that the flame shouldn't actually touch the cigar tip, and you just sort of heat it until the end starts glowing... something about reducing the carbon/butane taste? Torches work best for me doing this...

Any ideas?
    [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]And that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be
    banana-shaped.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="DarkOrange"]This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again
    how sheeps' bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Oh, certainly, sir.[/COLOR]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Zippo pipe lighter for my pipe, though I also get good results from strike anywhere wooden matches.
    Orest
    [indent][size="1"]Some minds remain open long enough for the truth not only to enter but to pass on through by way of a ready exit without pausing anywhere along the route.
    Sr. Elizabeth Kenny

I am incurably convinced that the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid.
    G. K. Chesterton[/size][/indent]

Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Double flame torch for cigars, regular Bic for cigarettes. As far as a cutter, I really like the v-cutter I got for $4. I discovered the v-cut when I bought a Dannemann stick, and they come pre-cut.

Wooden matches when I used to smoke a pipe. Now, sadly I just use a disposable butane job on my cigars. Have a really cool Xikar cutter though. One of these days I'll probably invest in a Zippo though.

Images
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Djeep disposable lighter. I'd lose anything that costs more than a buck.
    Director of the B&B Stjynnkii Membörd Dummpsjterd.

Badger & Blade- the most reasonable place on Earth.

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

pipes some old french lighter

Gars some old other thing

I love a good cedar match, I would get them from a local CC once in a while but alas no more

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast