What's new

Pick my Tallow-based soap!

I'm hearing lots of great things about tallow-based soap, and I've decided to order some. I think I have it narrowed down to either Tabac or Speick, but I'm open to other suggestions. I need to get away from the "I'll just buy both" mentality before I end up with another drawer full of lotions/creams/soaps/balms/etc. My wife has been very understanding thus far and I don't want to push my luck :wink2:

For a very high performance to price ratio, I always recommend Arko. You can get individual sticks cheap on eBay.

But, from the 2 you mentioned I'd go with Tabac. It's a very popular around here for a reason.

You really can't go wrong with either one of those. Both are great performers. What do you like scent-wise? Tabac is very spicy/floral while the Speick is very herbal..

For a first Tallow based soap - you've got two good ones there. Of those two I'd probably go with the Tabac because of the number of co-conspirators you'll have here to help you along should you need it.

However, my recommendation for a first Tallow soap would be: Cella.

I am loving speick right now. These are both my favorites. I like the smell of Speick better.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I think I have it narrowed down to either Tabac or Speick, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Speick: better scent (well, less 'love it or hate it') than Tabac, and small/cheap ... but in a stick so you have to mill it or use it as a stick (no biggie, IMHO)

Tabac: probably tied with Speick for performance on the whole ... both are great. Comes in a puck, so easier to use ... the scent throws some guys off totally.

(Of the two, if the 'stick' thing doesn't break the deal, for a first tallow I'd say Speick.)

Others:

DR Harris ... love it, a touch more expensive than tabac, but imho better and the scents are much more pleasing.

AOS ... very high praise comes the way of this soap, but it's expensive compared to the others (on a cost-per-shave probably still dirt cheap, though ... ). On the downdside, some guys don't like giving business to AOS (the best way I can put it is, it's the company that thinks it's middle initial is 's' :001_unsur)

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle - I already ordered a bowl of Kent (MWF) from their eBay store. That'll show up one day... In the mean time, thanks a bunch for the recs!

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I don't think you can go wrong with either one really. Both are classic soaps and either or could be perfect for most. Do one thing though..... Dedicate yourself to a week minimum, better yet a month of consecutive shaves with either one so that you can really bring out the best in the soap.

You cannot go wrong with the MWF. I've been using it recently and love it, especially the scent.

I prefer Speick to Tabac (though I enjoy both), but prefer Irisch Moos to either.

1) Cella--great performance, great value, very nice restrained dry, bitter almond scent. My go to soap/cream, when I'm firing up the Gem 1912 after a day off from shaving and going for a glass smooth shave on my neck.

2)AoS--great performance, lousy value ($26 refill), wonderful, pure sandalwood scent that (at least on me) lingers long after the shave. Shaved with it this morning, used just a little unscented Thayer's as a/s and the scent is still poking out from beneath my T+H Spanish Leather cologne.

Tabac is a starter soap that is there at the finish line.

Once you go Ta, you won't go bac. I mean you will. That is to say, not back from Tabac. Um, I think.

Arko, Great lather IMO. The scent is what decides for most people. but for a few bucks a stick it is well worth a try.

Speick: better scent (well, less 'love it or hate it') than Tabac, and small/cheap ... but in a stick so you have to mill it or use it as a stick (no biggie, IMHO)

Tabac: probably tied with Speick for performance on the whole ... both are great. Comes in a puck, so easier to use ... the scent throws some guys off totally.

(Of the two, if the 'stick' thing doesn't break the deal, for a first tallow I'd say Speick.)

Others:

DR Harris ... love it, a touch more expensive than tabac, but imho better and the scents are much more pleasing.

AOS ... very high praise comes the way of this soap, but it's expensive compared to the others (on a cost-per-shave probably still dirt cheap, though ... ). On the downdside, some guys don't like giving business to AOS (the best way I can put it is, it's the company that thinks it's middle initial is 's' :001_unsur)

What do you mean middle initial "s"?

Top Bottom