What's new

Whats a good, cheap beginner's pipe?

I've been trying to smoke a pipe with my grandfather some days but his are really old and wornout I think. What is a decent cheap pipe I can start with?
Also what about filters? he has one pipe that takes some little paper thing in the stem but his others take nothing.

thanks!!!!!:biggrin:

I haven't been smoking mine for a while, but I started with some drug store types and any decent pipe shop should have some in the $10-$20 range often hanging on the wall. I've had a few that weren't bad this way. Another one I recommend is Lorenzo, I picked one of these up few years back for about $35-$40 and it smokes pretty well, it's a spitfire model. My favorite is a savinelli EX series, think its the Goliath, and it has the balsa wood inserts, but is probably out of your price range. As far as the filters go most of those I've seen were in drug stores. I personally wouldnt go for the filters. Seems like the moisture would just build up and make a mess.

I've been trying to smoke a pipe with my grandfather some days but his are really old and wornout I think. What is a decent cheap pipe I can start with?
Also what about filters? he has one pipe that takes some little paper thing in the stem but his others take nothing.

thanks!!!!!:biggrin:
If I was to guess on the paper insert pipe it would be a Dr. Grabow Drugstore pipe. Anywhere from $15-$25

I would suggest going to your local tobbaconist and seeing what they have. Often, you can get an estate pipe (used) that is a higher quality for less than you'd pay for a cheap new one. Or, they might have a lower cost brand of pipe that they recomment. Just make sure that whatever you get, you can pass a pipe cleaner through it.

thanks guys, my favorite tobbaconist only carries cigars, so i'll have to poke around. would antique store carry estate pipes?

I'll give a shout out for my local tobacconist, The Briary. If you can't find anything in your price range on the website, at least take a look at some of the beautiful creations they have -- especially the ones that the owner has done: Elliott Pipes.

I really suggest you get an estate pipe. A nice one, a pretty one, one you like. I would suggest your grandfathers pipes may be fine, take one to a tabacconist for a look see and a sugestion on a tabacco. Let the tabacconist show you how to load the pipe, relax and have a pipe at the shop. Many times its technique that throws a new pipe smoker.

A great beginner's pipe that's not going to cost you an arm and a leg would be a Savinelli Natural. Savinelli makes some of the best pipes out there, and I have yet to own one that's disappointed me. A great place to get one would be Frenchy's Pipes, along with other pipes that are not too expensive.

If you decide to go for an estate (used) pipe, you can definitely get a good deal. But make sure the pipe has been professionally cleaned/restored first, especially if you are a beginner. The last thing you want to so is spend hours cleaning a heavily used (or abused) estate pipe.

Filters are a matter of personal preference. Some people love them, some hate them. I've found that the 6mm paper filters (like those used in Grabows) don't do much good, they restrict airflow too much and can make the pipe smoke hot. But, I do like Savinelli balsa filters (6 or 9mm) or the European-style 9mm filters. Either of these filters do a good job in providing a drier smoke. The 9mm filter pipes are far more common overseas than in the U.S., but you can still find them here.

- Rob

Hi-

Until I quit the demon weed about four years back I was a confirmed long-term pipey. My own opinion is this:

Don't get a used pipe. They may well have been cleaned/restored etc. but a pipe is a very personal thing (bit like a straight razor in that respect) and I for one would never smoke a used one.

Don't buy a really cheap pipe but don't go crazy and buy a top-class Dunhill straight briar (unless your name is Gates). My advice would be something like a 6-inch straight-stem briar with a medium bowl (your seller should know what a medium bowl is). They are a bit easier to smoke than other types.

Also consider a Falcon. They are good and give a nice cool smoke and are easy to clean.

New pipes mut be 'proved' by smoking them - there's no other way. This builds up a layer of carbon in the bowl that improves their smoking capabilities.

To be honest, there's no better way of learning about pipe smoking than actually smoking them! There are also all sorts of sites that will give advice. It's not rocket science - in a few weeks you will wonder what all the fuss was about.

The main complaint is hot smoking - a lot of ex-cigarette smokers (self included) get this because they try to smoke a pipe as they would a ciggy - too quickly for the pipe that heats up to volcano-like temperatures. A pipe smoke is a kick-back and feet-up thing, not a quick blast in your tea break.

Lastly, don't do it. Tobacco will kill you. (Ah, the reformed smoker!)

Enjoy your pipe! :wink:

Before Christmas I found a deal on a basic pipe starter kit for $29 at Up in Smoke in my local mall. It came with: pipe, pipe cleaners, tamper/reamer matches, and tobacco.

you might want to look at gatlinburlier.com there house pipes are really good quality for a good price. i have owned several of theirs. their tobacoes are really good also. i love the cumberland. as far as tobacco i prefer latakia blends and try to stay away from the sweet stuff. if you can find some peter stokobye he has some really good tobacco the nougat was my all day smoke for a while. keep exploring and enjoy.

I know well seasoned pipe guys that absolutely swear by good ol corn cobb pipes (a couple of bucks each). They are obviously not heirloom quality (they inevitably burn out after a while), but apparently give you a nice first couple of bowls, as opposed to developing cake, etc. in a briar. I smoked pipes for a while, and for some reason, never tried. Plus, you can take it out camping and what not, and if you break it or drop it in the river, you just salute it, rather than cry. (I have this theory that "I can't have anything nice"... .whenever I buy something, it ends up dropped, scratched, dented, etc.) Also, when experimenting with different brands and tobaccos, a new cobb will not impart your usual blend into the taste of the new tobacco, and also, the new tobacco, if entirely different in style, will not ruin your "English" pipe, for example.... enjoy!

I'd get a cob until you get the hang of smoking a pipe and have a little more knowledge of pipes. Then you can decide on a nice briar pipe to get next.

I second the idea of visiting Frenchy's site. Let him know you're a newbie and first-timer...you'll get a really decent package from him with all the stuff you'll need to get started.

Start with a corncob pipe. They're dirt cheap, very neutral, very dry, and you won't cry if you burn it out. I keep several around for trying new tobaccos, you never know if they snuck some sauce in there. Nearly ruined a briar once smoking some dunhill stuff that was scented - I had a cold and couldn't tell until it was nearly too late.

Top Bottom