What's new

HELP! There's Tarnish on my Razor!

There's tarnish on my Parker 22R razor! It has a gunmetal finish. How could this have happened?! I've always been so careful; always patting it dry after I finish with it and putting it carefully back in its box. I never even let it touch the counter for fear it might damage it. The razor is only two months old and was a Christmas present from my fiancee. I tried rubbing it off, but no luck. Is there anything I can do, or am I doomed to a lifetime of tarnished razors? How does one get past this? Is there life on the other side? :scared:

-CCM

You could try a little Brasso to clean it up. No matter how careful you are, oxidation happens.

Or you could just let it be and call it patina. Signs of use add character - I've resisted the occasional urge to replate my single ring. I like that it shows 98 years of use. Perfect cosmetics would rob it of its character.

The finish on this razor shouldn't tarnish. It's my understanding that the finish is nickel with something added to give it the gunmetal color. You should contact the vendor who sold it to you and find out what they say about it. And no you aren't doomed to a lifetime of tarnished razors. While I don't own a Parker and never will I do have a few 70 year old Gillette's with nickel plate that have no tarnish. Maybe you should try one.

And don't use a harsh polish like Brasso on your razor.

Len

If you would like my two cents....I use Maas Polish to bring out the shine of a 70 year old dull razor. It works great. Just dont rub too hard or the thin finish may come off :wink2:

But whatever you don't tell your fiancee or she will feel terrible and responsible. Gunmetal finish is beautiful but its put on very thin. If cleaning doesn't help yes contacting the vendor is a good idea but which vendor? Remember its a gift. So if all fails buy another one from a reliable seller.

But whatever you don't tell your fiancee or she will feel terrible and responsible. Gunmetal finish is beautiful but its put on very thin. If cleaning doesn't help yes contacting the vendor is a good idea but which vendor? Remember its a gift. So if all fails buy another one from a reliable seller.

Thank you for the advice, you're absolutely right. What would you recommend for cleaning?

-CCM

Top Bottom