What's new

Hoffritz Slant vs Merkur 37C Slant

I have both the vintage Hoffritz Slant (maybe from the 60s) and a modern Merkur 37C Slant. They appear to be the same except for the silver plate handle and smooth cap of the Hoffritz vs. the chrome handle plating and scalloped cap of the modern Merkur. BUT I think it is much easier to align the blade correctly with the modern Merkur. It takes me 2-3 attempts to align the Hoffritz, and I usually align the Merkur on my first try. Has anyone else noticed this difference?

eric.

Yes, I noticed this difference too. I cannot understand the Hoffritz-hype. I like the Merkur HD from the current production better.

I have a Hoffritz slant and absolutely love it. I never seem to have any trouble aligning the blade and shaves like nobody's business. I do not own a modern Merkur slant so I cannot make a comparison.

+1

I too have never had any problems with alignment on my Hoffritz. They are fantastic razors. When used with a vintage Spoiler blade I get BBS every time.
I also do not own a modern Merkur so I can't compare them.

I have a Hoffritz slant and absolutely love it. I never seem to have any trouble aligning the blade and shaves like nobody's business. I do not own a modern Merkur slant so I cannot make a comparison.

The only slant I own is the 39c and it's been for less than a week, so I'm new to this razor type and still trying to figure it out. I've read many posts and threads regarding the proper blade alignment, this one being particularly interesting: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18255. I assume what's described in that link is what is generally considered proper blade alignment.

However, I'd like to know why that is preferred rather than having the blade's edge in a more pronounced angular position? It seems to me that by increasing the blade's angle its slicing action is also increased. In addition, a more angled blade allows the gap between the blade's edge and the lower guard (since it is also angled) to become more uniform along the length of the razor. Shouldn't more slicing action, and a more uniform blade gap be desirable?

Any thoughts on this?

This is the blade alignment I am referring to: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=87841
Thanks for that. I've seen that thread as well and in the first photo the blade's edge looks perfectly parallel to the guard below it. I've been following this, more or less, for my first few shaves with my new slant. But as I think about it, it seems more intuitive to have the blade more angled than this to increase slicing and to even out the gap.

Any ideas why the parallel position is better than a more angled position?

Apologies for veering away from the subject of the OP, my intention is not to hijack the thread. Maybe asking my particular question in a new thread would be more appropriate...

Last edited:
Top Bottom