What's new

Special honing for Swedish steel?

Honemeisters of the world, unite! Got a NOS "Shark" by E. Anton Berg, Eskilstuna, Sweden, which needs to be honed. Anything special about Swedish steel that I should be aware of? My setup is quite simple: Norton 4K/8K and Chinese 12K. Any advice, opinion, thoughts are highly appreciated!

I don't hone swedish steel any different than most of my razors.

But, for purely selfish reasons i would REALLY like to see a photo of your "Shark"!!

I hone all my razors exactly the same, regardless of where they are from or if they are carbon steel or stainless steel. Sure, there are differences in the steels, but they are small enough that I don't notice them while honing or while shaving. I'm sure that someone with enough experience would be able to feel the differences, but that is far from your average shaver.

same, but i think you will need some lower below 4k and higher grit stone to get job done better.gl

B

bluefoxicy

I wish I could get a razor like that... nice, and I love swedish steel. Been looking at "German silver steel" lately tooo...

I got one of German Silver Steel models on eBay not too long ago. Pretty much NOS. An OK shaver, but nothing spectacular. I am slowly realizing that TI razors are hard to beat. I have yet to try a Filli though.

I wish I could get a razor like that... nice, and I love swedish steel. Been looking at "German silver steel" lately tooo...

Of course Swedish steel i better than every other steels out there, just because it's Swedish. However, I have a similar straight, also from Eskilstuna here in Sweden but another company. Compared to for example a solingen (German) straight the Swedish one is a little harder to sharpen but do stay sharp for more shaves. But in honing technique I don't do anything else than with any other blade.

A very nice Straight however, it's a piece of Swedish history you got there so be careful with it :)

//Axel

I wonder why no one thought about opening a web-based razor store in Eskilstuna and making a killing. Any idea?

Of course Swedish steel i better than every other steels out there, just because it's Swedish. However, I have a similar straight, also from Eskilstuna here in Sweden but another company. Compared to for example a solingen (German) straight the Swedish one is a little harder to sharpen but do stay sharp for more shaves. But in honing technique I don't do anything else than with any other blade.

A very nice Straight however, it's a piece of Swedish history you got there so be careful with it :)

//Axel

I wonder why no one thought about opening a web-based razor store in Eskilstuna and making a killing. Any idea?

I think the problem is that not many men in sweden do shave with a straight razor, even the older generation use some kind of cartridge or electric razor...

But however, those of you who want your own piece of swedish straight razor I recommend you to look at the swedish version of Ebay called Tradera. http://www.tradera.com/search/result.aspx?header=true&search=rakkniv is an example of what we Swedes have to offer. There is about 7.5 swedish crowns (kr) in one dollar, so you can immediate tell that the prices on razors like yours is cheaper than at Ebay. (if anyone is seriously interested, most Swedes talk english well and if you need some help that google translate can't fix I'm just a PM away).

And Eskilstuna is a very small town in Sweden, actually it's quite interesting how they was able to do so many razors back in the days... But a straight shop there at this days? Naah...

/Axel

I think the problem is that not many men in sweden do shave with a straight razor, even the older generation use some kind of cartridge or electric razor...

But however, those of you who want your own piece of swedish straight razor I recommend you to look at the swedish version of Ebay called Tradera. http://www.tradera.com/search/result.aspx?header=true&search=rakkniv is an example of what we Swedes have to offer. There is about 7.5 swedish crowns (kr) in one dollar, so you can immediate tell that the prices on razors like yours is cheaper than at Ebay. (if anyone is seriously interested, most Swedes talk english well and if you need some help that google translate can't fix I'm just a PM away).

And Eskilstuna is a very small town in Sweden, actually it's quite interesting how they was able to do so many razors back in the days... But a straight shop there at this days? Naah...

/Axel

Thanks Axel! When I was after a Mk. 33, Tradera was one of my regular stops.

Very many thanks!

/Axel

Top Bottom