What's new

Guitar tuning question

Drop D tuning is just low E to D. There are drop tunings that drop other strings too, but they aren't called Drop D.

Oh and Real men use Drop B.
;)

Tool-Prison sex is so fun to play on a 62 gauge low E. So fat coiley and buzzy.

Drop D tuning is just low E to D. There are drop tunings that drop other strings too, but they aren't called Drop D.

Oh and Real men use Drop B.
;)

Tool-Prison sex is so fun to play on a 62 gauge low E. So fat coiley and buzzy.

Yeah I know its not drop D on all the strings but if E goes to D then A goes to ??

I don't know what you do or don't know, so I'll jump in with some comprehensive information here:

The natural notes recognized by western music are A, B, C, D, E, F & G.

Drop D tuning involves tuning the E string down one "whole step"; to the next lower note. The equivalent on the A (5) string would be to tune to G.

However, the reason one tunes down a whole step to D is that, compared to standard tuning, the 6th string note is now two frets lower than any of the other strings. This means that a chord that would usually be played

e-X
b-X
g-X
D-4
A-4
E-2

can now be played as:

e-X
b-X
g-X
D-4
A-4
E-4

which allows for simplification of fingering for certain types of playing while still leaving any chord forms that don't involve the 6th string in their usual positions.

Retuning the 5th string will require you to rethink just about every common chord form played on the instrument, and doesn't necessarily get you anywhere.

Personally, I haven't messed around with open tunings too much. You might find some pertinent info here, or maybe somebody else can jump in with some suggestions.

Last edited:
What spacegeezer said.

That having been said, he's already pointed out the music note circle.

If E drops one step to D, A would drop one step to G. (if you must)

IF doing it that way, you could bridge strings 4-6 with your index finger, and hitting the 5th string two frets up with your middle or ring finger to make the same power chord form. Completely useless, really. Unless it's just for the sake of saying that you drop to G on the 5th.

Top Bottom