What's new

Cutting wood for scales

All,

I know a band saw is probably the easiest, and that it also depends a lot on the wood in question, but what is a reasonable way to cut blanks for scales? I do not plan on doing a lot of restoration but I would like to rescale the one blade I have that does need new scales, so I do not want to invest a lot of money at this point. I do not have a Dremel, but do have a drill.

Would a coping saw and wet/dry sandpaper be enough?

Thanks!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Yes a coping saw is perfect. I've done many wood carvings with a coping saw, files, and sandpaper that are far more complex than scales. I have never done scales though. . .

Thanks for your quick response. Can you recommend some good practice for using a coping saw? Are there standard shapes that I can cut out of wood to practice?

I don't use wood any more myself. I prefer to use acrylics.

To accomplish this with minimal tools will be a feat. I guess you'll probably want to find some thin wood that is already close to the correct thickness. You can glue 2 of these together with rubber cement. Then you can cut and sand both scales at the same time so they match up perfectly. If you put a piece of paper between them when you glue them together, it will be easier to see the dividing line between them.

Everything could be accomplished with hand tools and by hand sanding. The really hard part will be drilling perfectly straight pin holes without a drill press. Make sure you drill them before ungluing.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I think any shape you like will do. You could try a star for instance . . . and make a Christmas ornament out of it. the first thing I ever did was a fish. It was from 1" thick wood. I drew the shape on both sides so that it aligned both sides. Then being very careful used the coping saw to cut the shape keeping the blade on the line on both sides. Start with a soft wood like birch or cedar. (I am probably stating the obvious but you will need something to clamp the wood to . . . or a vice)

Thanks for all the quick responses. What grit sandpaper is recommended when working with wood?

It depends how much material you want to remove. When you have a lot of material to remove, a course grit will remove it the quickest. After you get to the correct shape, you'll probably want to start using finer and finer grits to remove all the sanding scratches.

Maybe like 120 on the course side up to 400 on the finer side. You could even go finer if you really want to.

Getting the thickness is the only thing I couldn't do using hand tools, the rest can be achieved with a coping saw/file/sandpapers.

I got a joinery firm to make some blanks, I gave him £20 and he gave me 24 150mm x 30mm x 3.6mm of hardwood. I did make quite a few mistakes I think it was my third attempt that I finally got it right, so make sure you get spares.

The biggest issue with using hand tools is drilling the holes, trying to get them perpendicular to the wood is hard you need to make a guide for the drill or preferably find someone with a tabletop drill.

Send me your wood and I will cut them for you and sand them to the thickness you want just for the return postage. Pm me if you are interested.

Ray

BTW

www.bellforestproducts.com sells 1/8 inch thick stock per cut just for razor restorers...

http://www.bellforestproducts.com/thin-stock-lumber/

Tell them Glen sent ya,:wink2: I have really no connection with these guys other than loving their fantastic customer service and the fact that they actually went out of their way to cater to US straight razor guys....:thumbup1:

I use these guys almost exclusively for all my wood, their 1.5 x 1.5 x 6 stock blanks are even better for me because I rip my own blanks on my table saw but the thin stock is by far the easiest...

There are also sellers on ebay that sell "Gun and Knife" scales that are almost perfectly sized for razor scales. I got a pair of walnut blanks for $10 shipped, I think it was.

Hey PM me your address and I will send over some wood that I’M sure you will appreciate. The price for this would be for you to post photos of your finished project. Also please include best size for your project and they will arrive ready to go.

Top Bottom