What's new

So I was talking to some co-workers...

I was at a "golf day" put on by one of the high end courses around here (they give us military types free golf one day a year) and one of my co-workers (notice I didn't say friend) had about 2 days worth of growth. He was talking to another guy about how he dreaded to shave cause he knew it was going to be painful. He actually used the term "pull".
Anyway I thought I would mention DE shaving. I explained how I could go a week without shaving and it not be painful or pull at all. Long story short they all looked at me like I was crazy. So I mentioned that he was the one who said he was going to be in pain and not me. No comment. Oh well I tried!

I always find these threads funny. Shaving is something many men do every day of their lives...yet some seem to treat it as a verboten topic...not to be discussed outside the comforts of their own bathroom.

I'll never understand that.

Long story short they all looked at me like I was crazy.

Maybe let it go for a few days and then mention out loud "better get this lot off" in front of the same crowd - then next day, come in BBS with a smile on your face?

Maybe they'll ask how it went, maybe they won't - we can only lead by example...

This can't be "sold" to many people I find. I would bet the overwhelming majority of us in here found this place through the web and our already aggressive pursuit of a better shave.

I was at a "golf day" put on by one of the high end courses around here (they give us military types free golf one day a year) and one of my co-workers (notice I didn't say friend) had about 2 days worth of growth. He was talking to another guy about how he dreaded to shave cause he knew it was going to be painful. He actually used the term "pull".
Anyway I thought I would mention DE shaving. I explained how I could go a week without shaving and it not be painful or pull at all. Long story short they all looked at me like I was crazy. So I mentioned that he was the one who said he was going to be in pain and not me. No comment. Oh well I tried!

Pavespawn,

I feel your pain.

I have tried to help some of my co-workers as well, some have converted and are very happy and others just think we are flat out insane.

I wrote the following post after I had a run in similar to what you describe, it sums up how and why I switched to a double edge, and why I feel so passionate about it.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133334

I started chatting to a colleague, who genuinely seemed interested. Don't think he'll take the plunge into the backdated yet far superior methods. I didn't get the your mad look though.

You'll have better off trying to get them to replace the aerosol cream with a proper brush and soap/cream combo. That'll make a much larger immediate difference in shave quality, has a much quicker learning curve than a DE, and they can keep using their existing razor setup.

Huh! I must be the odd fellow out. Just the other day my boss asked me for a hand in finding a DE to try.

I've got a blue Gillette Lady on it's way for her now.
:001_smile

As an RN I have found that my patients listen a little closer when I talk about how beneficial straight or DE shaving is for the skin. I tell them that dermatologists hate those multi-blade things, and that they will have a huge decrease in the number of ingrown hairs. That last part especially interests many of them, for ingrown hairs seem to be a too common occurrence these days.

People just don't seem to talk about it. I just got tired of having a torn up face and neck. Now my face is fine and I have a new hobby. Most people don't get it though. Hard to fight against multi-million dollar marketing campaigns.

I thought I would have a sympathetic ear with my father in law who is someone I consider from the "old school" (sharpens his own knives, ties his own flies for trout fishing). When I mentioned I used a brush and DE, his reply was "why the hell would you want to shave for anytime longer than 2 minutes"?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
when i first got in to DE shaving my father says "boy, you'll cut yourself all up!" which is the biggest myth ever! granted i did get a few weepers but i did when i used a cartridge as well. I think people are so brainwashed and against change that they don't have an open mind about shaving anyMOre.

i recently had to go to IL and stayed at my brothers place and when he saw me coming out of the guest room with a hand full of my shaving tools he gave me this look like i was carrying a dead body across the house. I just said to myself "you wouldn't understand"

i'm going to start giving a DE newbie kit for gifts (christmas, birthdays). i'll slowly convert everyone i know weather they like it or not.

While my daughter and her beau were visiting, he had a several day growth going. When I asked if he was intending on growing a beard, he said no, he just hated shaving.
I said," come with me". I kook him down to the local barber shop who still does real shaves. I ordered up one for each of us. Hot towel, per-shave oil massage...the works.
Afterward, he said that he had never had anything like that before. He didn't know a shave could feel so good. When we got home, I gathered up an extra DE, tubes of Cream, and good blades. He is now a convert.

Al in colorado

Truly, we are Cadillacing in a Chevy world. I've gotten a mixed bag of reactions, but I don't bring the subject up first.

Top Bottom